If You Were Me and Lived in... Ancient…

If You Were Me and Lived in... Ancient Greece: An Introduction to…

by Carole P. Roman

751,138,814 (4.8)None

I received a copy to facilitate my Review. The opinions expressed here are my own.

Readers will learn about some of the most important city-states. They will also learn a bit about the different gods they believed in. They will learn about how homes were made and what they ate. I found it interesting that girls were not considered citizens. I loved the way this book was set up. As you read about a specific topic you learned about the god or goddess that best fit with that topic. There is a separate section in the back that deals with the different gods. ( )
  skstiles612 | Jul 17, 2016 |
History was always my favorite subject to study while in school and then through the years, I have literally consumed as much of our world's history as possible. So when I saw that Carole P. Roman was embarking on a new series of children's books about life in the historical world, I was simply delighted.

Ancient Greece encompasses life prior to the birth of Christ. Life in ancient Greece was from 338-776 BC or approximately 400 years of world-stage domination during which they contributed much to the life of civilized man earning the title "The Cradle of Western Civilization."

Ms. Roman has her book framed around 2300 years ago, or 300 BC bringing the story directly to the child by engaging them in imagining what their name or their sister's name would be like, if they lived then. She goes on to explain a bit about Greece's form of government and their worship of many gods. There were many slaves in Greece and if they could garner enough money, they could purchase their freedom.

I found the tidbits about the gods interesting, especially the god of the hearth. Every home had a fire pit and the embers were never allowed to extinguish. The same was true of the village fire pit. Also, when a new village was established, embers were carried from an existing to the new village. This was in honor of the god Hestia.

There is a lot of information in Ms. Roman's Ancient Greece which will serve as a good introduction to world history. It is interestingly written so it won't bore the child, yet gives a wide range of basic information about the time and country. At the end of the book there is a very nice glossary that will be great for reference. This new series of books is a bit longer than the author's earlier publications and this allows for more indepth information and a richer experience.

The illustrations of If You Were Me and Lived In Ancient Greece are done in very soft pastels with soft definition. The light hearted theme of illustrations is nicely suited for the young reader.

This will be a great read-aloud book or for the more advanced reader to dive into. It is hard to put an age on this one, because it can span a wide age range. Kids will enjoy learning about Ancient Greece in this interesting, non-boring book. I would classify this as non-fiction because of the plethora of information it contains. However, there is a fictional base to it as it places the child reading the book in the story...... "If YOU were ME and Lived in......"

Great for classrooms or home libraries. Sturdier binding would make this a favorite in children's sections of school and public libraries.

DISCLOSURE: I received a complimentary copy from the author to facilitate this review of my own opinions. I was not compensated nor obligated to give a positive review. ( )
  VeraGodley | Jul 13, 2016 |
If you were me and live in...Ancient Greece by Carole P. Roman is another marvelous book in her newest series about Civilizations Throughout Time. Her first series introduced culture and customs to elementary age and younger children and with this series, she brings history to life for older students. With muted colors Mateya Arkova has drawn beautiful illustrations to show what life in Ancient Greece would have looked like in the year 350 B.C. The author takes the reader briefly through a discussion of the politics (city-states and the introduction of democracy) and religion (worship of the many Greek gods) of this time period. With enchanting pictures and easy-to-read text, readers learn about homes made of stone or clay bricks, and clothes worn by the Greeks, chitons for the boys and peplos for the girls. Shopping was done in the agora (marketplace) where lots of merchants set up stalls. Education was for the boys; girls stayed home to learn how to manage household things. The Olympics and other exciting ideas and people are also brought out in the book. Occasional questions throughout the book encourage reflection and discussion. Included at the end is a glossary of words, with pronunciations, and people from this era and also a section on the gods and goddesses of Ancient Greece. This is a wonderfully informative book that is sure to capture a child's interest and imagination. ( )
  Anne_Rightler | Jun 13, 2016 |
If You Were Me and Lived in ...Ancient Greece (An Introduction to Civilizations Throughout Time Book 1) by Carole P Roman is a great book for kids to learn and really enjoy history! I was amazed at how she made history so simple and seen through the child's eyes as she walks the reader through all aspects of life during this time. What would the child eat? Wear? Play? What about school and shopping? What kind of house would you live in? All of this is discussed in a fun way and more. The illustrations are colorful and add to the text. At the end of the book, the author gives a list of people that were influential at that time. Very informative and entertaining at the same time, not an easy feat. I enjoyed and learned from it and I know my grand children will love it too. I was given this book for a honest review. My favorite part was no napkins! They used bread for napkins and fed the dogs the bread! Awesome!!! ( )
  MontzaleeW | Jun 13, 2016 |
This is my first introduction into Carole P. Roman’s new series in which she not only takes us around the world, but also back in time.

These is much more information in this book than her current day If You Were Me books and are more for older children that will understand the time frame factor. There are also topics that are more appropriate for an older child, as in forms of government, war, prisoners, etc. I learned quite a bit about ancient Greece from her description of their meals, customs and lifestyle. There are unique topics that will fascinate children and create interest in learning more.

I did not care for the overemphasis on the Greek gods, with polytheism introduced on one page, a paragraph about each one of the gods individually on following pages, and then a two page list and explanation of all of them again.

I think this is a promising new series and something for the older child.

I received a copy of If You Were Me and Lived In...Ancient Greece in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Tmtrvlr | Jun 7, 2016 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,026,687 books! | Top bar: Always visible