Local Girl Swept Away by Ellen Wittlinger

Local Girl Swept Away

by Ellen Wittlinger

Thanks to Goodreads and the publisher for a free copy of Local Girl Swept Away.

Lately, I've been really into books about selfish and cutthroat girls -- girls who know what they want in life and who go after it at any cost, never mind the people they mow over on the way to get it. There's something so compelling about those characters to me, and I just love them.

Local Girl Swept Away is about that kind of girl... but from a different perspective. This is about her three friends, all of them inseparable, and how they all fall apart when she gets washed away from shore. This is about the fallout from her life, her whirlwind-intense personality, her commanding presence. And it's about the weird ways that we react to someone's absence from our lives, and how much we don't know about people.

There's not too much that I can say without giving things away. I feel like I'm speaking too vaguely about this book, so I'm going to say a few things without spoiling things.

The main character is a photographer, and I love that in young adult fiction. There's something so compelling about a character who hides behind a camera and observes, because it reminds me so much of myself.

And I'm also so glad -- and this is going to sound weird -- to see a creepy relationship that is actually recognized as creepy and toxic. There are some adult-minor things going on, and it is addressed as what it is: harmful and so very creepy.

Overall, this is a wonderful book! I've read Parrotfish by Ellen Wittlinger, and I loved it. Local Girl Swept Away is also fantastic. And I'm looking forward to picking up more of her books in the future. ( )
  bucketofrhymes | Dec 13, 2017 |
Good takeoff, horrible landing. I picked this up because of Parrotfish and they don't feel like they are from the same author. ( )
  Brainannex | Jan 19, 2017 |
Anything by Ellen Wittlinger and anything taking place in Cape Cod is worth at least a glance. So, of course, Local Girl Swept Away was on my reading list.

Lorna is the ring leader. She leads and her court (Finn, Lucas and Jackie) follow. She needs their adulation. They need her spontaneity and lust for life. So it wasn’t uncommon for the foursome to go out on the rocks at the edge of Provincetown in the driving rain, Lorna, as surefooted as can be, speeding ahead of the others. However, they stood motionless when all of the sudden Lorna disappeared and moments later they saw her white jacket drifting in the water, floating away from them.

Lucas, the poorest swimmer of the group, dove in but the tide pushed him back to shore. Finn, Lorna’s boyfriend, stood motionless, as did Jackie.

Local Girl Swept Away tackles many things, foremost the remaining trio’s attempts to live life without Lorna to guide them and goad them. A huge part of their lives was lost.

Entering their senior year in high school, college applications loom. Jackie, the daughter of a fisherman, wants to go to art school, an impractical career for a ‘poor’ girl. Finn whose parents are wealthy, faces the opposite opposition, wanting to become a fisherman rather than attend college.

The foursome are all interesting characters and a few others are thrown in as well. Having been to Provincetown, Wittlinger’s description of the town and its residents, both permanent and seasonal, brings back great memories. Herring Cove Beach and Race Point (which she doesn’t mention) are two favorites. As Wittlinger says in her author’s note, “[Provincetown] is a three-mile long hodgepodge of a town where variety is the spice and diversity is the norm. There is no place like it.” It is the perfect place to people watch.

My first Ellen Wittlinger book was Razzle and then I was hooked. Blind Faith is one of my favorites although they all are great reads. I hihgly recommend Local Girl Swept Away. ( )
  EdGoldberg | Nov 3, 2016 |

In the Cape Cod village of Provincetown, Massachusetts, seventeen-year-old Lorna is swept out to sea, leaving her three best friends to struggle to come to terms with their missing leader and with the secrets each endeavors to hide.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,619,190 books! | Top bar: Always visible