If You Were Me and Lived in... Renaissance…

If You Were Me and Lived in... Renaissance Italy: An Introduction to…

by Carole P. Roman

117820,536 (5)None

It has been awhile since I read anything about the Renaissance time period. I am aware of the number of artists that came out of that time but knew little about the way of life for families. Roman shares how a merchant family would live in Florence during the time of the Renaissance period. Like her other books, she offers examples of names given to children, type of food eaten, and the type of schooling that children would receive. She delves into the culture of the area including what you would do for fun and how the economy would work for both merchants and servants. The style of clothing and the many layers worn by girls and women would surprise young girls today.

I am used to Roman's books being high quality, but this one has several misspelled words. So, I am hoping I just got an early copy and the books available for purchase have been cleaned up. Otherwise, the research and way of explaining the details for elementary-aged children is spot on.

Brunetti's artwork fits the time period perfectly with its muted colors and meticulous detail to clothing and buildings. She is definitely a talented artist.

I found much that I learned while reading the book. The biographical pages and glossary in the back offer more explanations of famous people and definitions for the more interested reader. ( )
  Staciele | Sep 30, 2016 |
I received a copy to facilitate my Review. The opinions expressed here are my own.

In this book we learn about the period after the Middle Ages. It was a time of rebirth. The awakening of creativity. It was called the Renaissance. The author has given a lot of information about how those who had some money lied. Everything was different from the clothes they wore to the food they ate. The author included a section on the changes in art, famous artists and a glossary. ( )
  skstiles612 | Jul 17, 2016 |
ISBN: 9781523234271
So much happened during the Renaissance and, author Carole P. Roman writes interestingly of much of those exciting years. It was a time of reawakening. People began to exchange ideas, to explore the arts, and to craft amazingly beautiful and realistic art. People began to develop a merchant or middle class which was the result of new ideas, new business ventures abroad, and money making opportunities. Italy was very much a center for the re-awakening and life began to flourish.

As Ms. Roman tells the story of these developments, the reader can place himself right at the center. He or she will learn that the education was vastly different for boys and girls and was given to them by a tutor. Lower classes were uneducated.

I especially like the text on page 8, "A new age was coming. You wouldn't know this time period would be called a special name and it was about to change the entire world. It was going to be called the Renaissance and means rebirth in French. People looked back and rediscovered the teachings of Ancient Greece and Rome." And then, "The Renaissance was the reawakening of human creatively after a darker time period."

You see, the Renaissance followed the "dark ages" which is another story to tell sometime. The timeline for the Renaissance Italy was 1330 to 1550 AD

Life for a child in Renaissance Italy was filled with activity. There was work and there was fun. Ms. Roman shares much of this with the reader.

I especially like the sections in the back of the book. There are explanations and pictures of some of the great art of the period - sculpture and paintings. Then there is a really nice section with pictures and short biographies of famous and important people during the period. And lastly, the wonderful glossary.

The illustrations of Silvia Brunetti show life styles, clothes, furnishings, and architecture. The people in the illustrations are bright eyed and have a certain charm.

This is an excellent resource for the home or classroom library. More sturdily bound editions would be wonderful in children's school libraries and the children's section of public libraries. While ideal for the elementary age child, even preschoolers will find it interesting.

I received a complimentary copy to facilitate this review. Opinions are my own. I was not compensated for this review.

Review also appears at https://chatwithvera.blogspot.com/2016/07/if-you-were-me-and-lived-renaissance-italy-introduction-to-civilizations.html ( )
  VeraGodley | Jul 14, 2016 |
This is another of Carole P. Roman’s If You Were Me… books that take the reader back in time. This time we visit Renaissance Italy. The book begins with a brief introduction to the present day Florence and then the emergence from the Middle Ages, poverty and isolation of the people, to the Renaissance era.

The story tells the life of a wealthy family with servants. It describes their life, work, food, clothing, habits and customs. There are brief bios of twelve famous people of that era. There also an emphasis on the art and artists of the time.

This is another great addition to the series. ( )
  Tmtrvlr | Jun 24, 2016 |
If you were me and live in...Renaissance Italy by Carole P. Roman is another wonderful book in her newest series about Civilizations Throughout Time. Her first series introduced culture and customs to elementary age and younger children and with this series, she brings history to life for older students. Engaging illustrations by Sylvia Brunetti tell what life in the city of Florence in Tuscany, Italy would have looked like in the late 1400s. The author takes the reader briefly through the emergence of the known world from the Middle Ages to a time of rebirth and reawakening of human creativity. With full-color pictures and easy-to-read text, readers learn about homes and workplaces, merchants and guilds, education, sometimes by a tutor, and the different foods and clothing of this exciting time in European history. Occasional questions throughout the book encourage reflection and discussion. The author has a section on the importance of the Renaissance to art which discusses the changes of perspectives, shading, balance and the focus on realistic subjects. Pictures of several famous artworks are displayed. Included at the end is a glossary of words, with pronunciations, and people from the Italian Renaissance era and three pages of pictures and short biographical descriptions of famous people from this period of time. An informative book that is sure to capture a child's interest and imagination. ( )
  Anne_Rightler | Jun 13, 2016 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 152323427X, Paperback)

Join Carole P. Roman and travel through time to visit the most interesting civilizations throughout history in the first four books of her new series. Learn what kind of food you might eat in Ancient Greece, the clothes you wore in 15th century Renaissance Italy, what your name could be in Elizabethan England, and what Colonial American children did for fun. If You Were Me and Lived in...does for history what her other award-winning series did for culture. So get on-board this time-travel machine and discover the world through the eyes of a young person just like you.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 09 Jun 2016 21:11:56 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,546,625 books! | Top bar: Always visible