Some Friend by Marie Bradby

Some Friend (2004)

by Marie Bradby

Can a friend be somebody whom no one else likes but you?
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Pearl is thrilled to be singled out by popular Lenore, and doesn't even mind when Lenore gets her into trouble. However, when Lenore starts showing a mean streak--blaming Pearl for her own mess, and bullying Pearl's less privileged friend Artemisia--Pearl begins to understand how true friends behave. Set against the background of the Civil Rights movement, this is a sweet story about a loving family and community. Pearl and her friends feel very genuine, as does the constant parade of groundings and squabbles which shake up the Jordan household. ( )
  Sarahfine | Mar 28, 2011 |
For my sisters Joyce and Deborah; my writing sisters Ann, George Ella, Jan, Leatha, Lou, and Martha; and my found sisters Claudia, Cynthia, deane, Faienne, Judith, Lydia, and Sanae. You are fabulous friends!
All my life I've been hoping I'd find a friend so I wouldn't have to play Monopoly by myself.

Finding a friend isn't easy. Especially when there aren't many kids age eleven in your neighborhood. Being a friend is even harder. In Pearl's neighborhood Lenore is everyone's friend of choice. She has her hair straightened and curled at a real beauty shop, her own pink phone, and a canopy bed. The most Pearl hopes for is to be included as one of Lenore's followers. Then outcast Artemesia comes into Pearl's life. Artemesia is everything Pearl dreams of being-a dancer and an artist. But when Lenore makes it clear she can't stand Artemisia, Pearl does the worst thing possible. And she still hasn't got a friend. Or has she? (1-4169-3452-9)

In 1963, Pearl, an eleven-year-old black girl in Fairfax, Virginia, learns about the real nature of friendship from the popular but untrustworthy Lenore, and Artemesia, a poor girl who moves into the neighborhood for a brief time.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,423,009 books! | Top bar: Always visible