ALL WOMEN ARE WHORES by Jezebelya Orobas

by Jezebelya Orobas

212,551,640 (3.25)None
Recently added bycissa, Ryan_Stabile

No tags.

As far as I could tell, Orobas is here making an attempt to update such classics of female-power literature as "Sex and the Single Girl" (which was at least progressive for its time), and "The Total Woman" (very regressive, and all about how if a woman was nice enough to her man, he'd buy her household appliances), with maybe a hint of "The Sensuous Woman" in there.

This is not a compliment. All 3 of these were gender-essentialist to the max, and- like this book- shared both a surface respect for the menfolk combined with a deep contempt.

I must say, though- while I have not read the above-cited text for several decades, in my memory they were at least coherent and competently written. This book does not share those qualities; it is more a stream-of-consciousness rant that would not even live up to basic blogging standards (which are more casual than essays, etc.).

Also, while she regularly calls all women "whores" in this book, she also includes a rant about how such language is Very Damaging Indeed... as she engages in it. While she wants women to stop dissing each other by calling names, she is plenty happy to call names if it will attract attention to her opining.

Let me just put out that ANYONE, female or male or intersex, who works for a living is to some extent a whore. We are all selling our bodies and our experience for money. That is capitalism, especially when all one has to contribute is labor rather than capital. Thus, pretty much all men are whores, too...

In her own story, she blatantly uses her own sexuality to get money and support for her business ventures... and strongly discourages other women from doing the same thing, without being self-aware enough to recognize the contradiction. But then, she mostly does not notice when she contradicts herself.

This is poorly written, and poorly thought-out, and regressive in its gender essentialism. Very much not recommended.

I believe I got this for free in exchange for an honest review, and this is that review. ( )
  cissa | Jun 20, 2016 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,920,920 books! | Top bar: Always visible