Let Me Play: The Story of Title IX: The Law…

Let Me Play: The Story of Title IX: The Law That Changed the Future of…

by Karen Blumenthal

This book was about the implementation of Title IX and the ripple effects it had. Title IX was a law that was passed that said for every boy’s sport an equal girl’s sport had to exist. The book showed some statistics of how the law increased female participation in sports. I liked the amount of pictures shown and the quotes from powerful and respected females about how Title IX changed things. More females were able to go to college because they were now able to get sports scholarships. Females also continued to outpace males in college graduation.

I would definitely have this book in my library because many students are unaware that there was a time where females didn’t have sports teams. It’s important for students to realize how far we’ve come, but also how much further we have to go. I think this book will help students appreciate the opportunities they have and maybe push them to demand more. ( )
  tahamilton | May 3, 2015 |
I never really thought much about Title IX. Like most people, I assumed it just dealt with girls being allowed to play sports. I have absolutely no interest in sports, never played, and am pretty skeptical about all the "building teamwork" claims, but I'm a strong advocate for girls doing anything they want to do.

However, reading this book was fascinating and I learned there was so much more to Title IX than I had thought. Blumenthal walks the readers through a history of Title IX, giving snapshots of key personages along the way, along with personal stories of girls and women affected by the act and statistics of how it changed educational opportunities for women. The author does a really good job of condensing the many complicated issues, groups, and people down into a cohesive narrative.

Unfortunately, with all the photos being black and white and the poor design of the book I'm not sure I would be able to convince any kids to pick this up and read it. The layout is confusing and oddly random, breaking up paragraphs and even sentences and it gives an overall cluttered feel to what's really a very strong narrative. It's also directed at older readers, middle school more than middle grade, and nonfiction is a hard sell for that group.

Verdict: I enjoyed reading this and found it very educational; I'm definitely going to remember to buy more sports books featuring girls next time I have a shot at updating the sports section (periodically I try to do this and usually end up just sighing and letting it go again). It would be great if publishers had more series featuring contemporary female athletes. However, I probably won't buy this book for my library.

ISBN: 0689859570; Published 2005 by Atheneum; Borrowed from another library in my consortium
  JeanLittleLibrary | Mar 28, 2014 |
I really enjoyed the way this book was organized. The story itself was a great narrative, but enriching the main text were player profiles and instant replays which provided background information and personal stories. The scorecards plainly showed the astounding influence Title IX had on sports and education, and the cartoons were a delight. ( )
  Tables | Jan 29, 2014 |
Why isn't this required reading? Why aren't half of these names found regularly in history textbooks? Watching women's health care and title X slowly being taken away I think Patty Mink's warning of what has been won can just as quickly be taken away could not ring truer today. ( )
  thelukewarm225 | Apr 3, 2013 |
A comprehensive history of Title IX.
  jdjohn | Jun 25, 2010 |

Can girls play softball? Can girls be school crossing guards? Can girls play basketball or ice hockey or soccer? Can girls become lawyers or doctors or engineers?

Of course they can...

today. But just a few decades ago, opportunities for girls were far more limited, not because they weren't capable of playing or didn't want to become doctors or lawyers, but because they weren't allowed to. Then quietly, in 1972, something momentous happened: Congress passed a law called "Title IX," forever changing the lives of American girls.

Hundreds of determined lawmakers, teachers, parents, and athletes carefully plotted to ensure that the law was passed, protected, and enforced. Time and time again, they were pushed back by Þerce opposition. But as a result of their perseverance, millions of American girls can now play sports. Young women make up half of the nation's medical and law students, and star on the best basketball, soccer, and softball teams in the world. This small law made a huge difference.

From the Sibert Honor-winning author of Six Days in October comes this powerful tale of courage and persistence, the stories of the people who believed that girls could do anything -- and were willing to fight to prove it.

A Junior Library Guild Selection

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:35 -0400)

Up until the 1970s, if you were a girl, you were told you shouldn't play team sports, or go to college. But, in 1972, Title IX changed that, by ensuring that girls have the same opportunities as boys to participate in sports and classes. But that change did not come without a fight.… (more)

6 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,866,131 books! | Top bar: Always visible