Everything We Keep by Kerry Lonsdale

Everything We Keep

by Kerry Lonsdale

The book has an interesting twist. The main characters are well developed, some characters while minor carry important thread to the story line are not as well described. ( )
  Baochuan | Aug 8, 2017 |
I found this book to be somewhere between OK and good. I was interested enough to finish, and I will try to follow up with the sequel (as long as it doesn't become to hokey or unbelievable). There were parts of this story that I enjoyed quite a bit, but I also thought that some of it was frustratingly hard to believe.
My favorite part of the book was the first half before Amiee (cute or irritating spelling?) heads off from her new business to chase down James in Mexico. Prior to that, I felt sorry for Amiee having to bury her fiance on the day that was supposed to be their wedding day, and yet I was encouraged by her independence and talent in making a go of her dream of opening a special coffee shop/eatery. Her interactions with Ian felt reasonably believable for the circumstances, yet there was the hope of future involvement outside of just friendship.
The trip to Mexico brought about by the continued prompting of information from the mystery psychic advisor, began the real problem part of the book for me. There were so many coincidences and tidy explanations that didn't really make sense or even seem reasonable. The ending left loose ends, and the epilogue in my ebook edition is actually the first chapter of the sequel book. It sounds like the problems that were conveniently wrapped up are coming back to haunt us in the next book. I'm willing to give it one more try, but won't put up with a rerun in an attempt to recreate mystery or suspense.
I thank the publisher and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this title. ( )
  c.archer | Aug 6, 2017 |
I savored this book until the very end. That was when I started to savor the next book in this series. Thankfully, I already a copy of it and was to imbibe that book and conquer my excitement.

This was a very touching story. A woman who's fiance goes missing two months before the wedding while on an unexpected rushed trip to Mexico. The book opens with Aimee, a sous chef at her parent's restaurant, attending her fiance's funeral on her wedding day. The funeral is at the same church, with the same flowers and mostly the same people. A total heartbreak scene that will gain your sympathy for sure. After the funeral, she is accosted by a stranger who tells her that James, her fiance, is till alive.

The book goes back and forth as to whether James is still alive. The blurb leaves you hanging, so I will also. I can say that I was mesmerized by the story and haunted. There were a few times when I thought Aimee might have went a little too far, but it didn't stop me from reading this book.

A very mesmerizing read that kept me very interested and entertained.

Thanks to Lake Union Publishing and Net Galley for providing me with a free e-galley in exchange for an honest, unbiased review. ( )
  debkrenzer | Jul 20, 2017 |
Aimee’s future just came to a halt. Instead of getting married she is attending the funeral of her fiancé, on the same day she is supposed to get married. But, as she is leaving the funeral, someone tells her that James is still alive. Who would do this to her? And why??

Aimee was a bit of a struggle for me. I did not have the expected connection with her. She was more of a blah character. She also did not act the way many people would have in her situation. Aimee has been told by a psychic her fiancé is alive. She receives several major hints and clues. But, she waits 17 months to try and search for James. I understand it is a psychic which tells her about James. But she receives several great clues but does not pursue. It is not really clear in the book why she waits so long.

I know it sounds like I did not like this story. Oh….but I did!! This is only a minor set back in this tale. There are still many great qualities to this book. I was completely caught up in the mystery of James’ disappearance and kudos to the author for several unexpected plot twists and turns. This really kept me reading and enjoying till the very last page! And guess what!! There is another book in this series!! To be continued……

I received this book from Netgalley for a honest review. ( )
  fredreeca | Jul 16, 2017 |
Holy Smokes! The first thought in my head as I put this book down for good. What a ride!
"On our wedding day, my fiance, James, arrived at the church in a casket."
What a way to begin a love story, and what a love story! Aimee and James have been together since childhood, and now he's dead; or is he? Something fishy is definitely going on- his strange family and unanswered questions leave a lot of room for doubt, even as Aimee is trying to get on with her life.
Simply asked, if you lost someone you loved, how far would you go to get them back? Simple, yet, maybe you really don't want to know. The twists are apparent, until the u- turn in this story, and wow, what a doozy.
Lonsdale reels you in and doesn't let go, her characters are multifaceted and the suspense and mystery of the plot's situation is riveting. You must read this book!
*I received an arc from the publisher through NetGalley for an honest review ( )
  KimMcReads | Jun 27, 2017 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,983,479 books! | Top bar: Always visible