Learning to Love by Sheryl Browne

Learning to Love

by Sheryl Browne

421,664,912 (3.75)None

This was a lovely contemporary romance with a dash of suspense and mystery.
The protagonist, Andrea Kelly, takes multitasking to new levels. She is working as a teacher, is planning to open her own business, is looking after toddler Chloe, is a loving Mum to teenagers Ryan and Sophie, and is caring for her slightly senile mother, Dee. And then there's her partner, Jonathan, who is Chloe's father. When their home burns down, it isn't Jonathan by Andrea's side helping to pick up the pieces, but her new neighbour, David, who has just moved to the village to take the post of local GP. David opens his home to the entire Kelly clan although he has enough to deal with himself. He is still getting used to being a single Dad to ten-year-old Jake and their father-son relationship is strained.
The characterization was brilliant. The children were very well drawn and their behaviour believable. The family dynamics and the interactions between the characters were hugely entertaining. I really enjoyed the small British village setting with the community spirit and the quirky inhabitants who provided more drama and exciting subplots. Yes, this was predictable. But it was a lot of fun! Great read if you're looking for something heartwarming with real characters and a feel-good factor. I'm slowly working my way through Sheryl Browne's books and haven't been disappointed yet.
My thanks to ChocLit for providing me with a copy via NetGalley. ( )
  Pet12 | May 2, 2017 |
Nearing middle age and wanting a career change Andrea is living with Jonathan, has a toddler by him, has a teenage son and daughter by her first husband, is a teacher, and multi-tasks like a champion…oh, she also has her slightly dotty mother living in the same house, too! When her house burns down a new neighbor steps in and offers space to them till they can get the insurance settled. Little did either of them realize that the fire was just the beginning of fireworks yet to come.

I enjoyed the growth of friendship and eventual love between David and Andrea. I found the children believable in their behavior and interactions. I could relate to how the adults felt. I am not sure Sally was necessary for the story but how she behaved and how others behaved toward her did prove interesting. I thought the idea of the small town rallying to support someone who has lost everything heartwarming.

There were twists and turns, some slapstick comedy, and a bit of foreshadowing with a rather tense conclusion to one thread of the story. The story concluded well for most of the characters and provided the HEA I was rooting for. In some ways it reminded me of books by Jilly Cooper read long ago.

Thank you to NetGalley and ChocLit for the copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. ( )
  CathyGeha | Jun 11, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,174,771 books! | Top bar: Always visible