Devil in Spring by Lisa Kleypas

Devil in Spring

by Lisa Kleypas

What a sweet, fluffy read that went into wtf territory as soon as we hit the 75% mark. Is there a need for Ms. Kleypas to add a terrorist conspiracy near the end of the book? because it made no sense to me and it seemed tacked on.

First things first, Gabriel (the hero) is not a rake, so I have no idea why it says in the blurb that he is. That threw me off completely. He's a good enough hero, but he is easily overshadowed by his father, who appears many times in this book. Pandora (the heroine) is annoying but still, manages to be endearing at times. As a couple, they are just fine. Nothing out of the ordinary or memorable but fluffy enough to make me sigh in happiness a few times. I did love how patient he was with her (because believe you me, she can test anyone's patience) and how he tried to help her overcome difficulties with his support. Their relationship really felt like a partnership and I appreciated that.

Beware, the insta-lust/love is strong on this one. Blink, and you'll miss when the hero suddenly had to possess her with all his might.

The dialogue was fast-paced and smart, the easy humor is there. I kept giggling out loud at some lines.

Assuming the next book in the series is between Ethan and Garrett, I'm calling it now: Ethan is a Ravenel, probably Pandora's mother's love child. ( )
  lapiccolina | Jul 19, 2017 |
This is the 3rd book in the Ravenels Series. My favorite of this series is Marrying Winterborne. In this book Pandora has begun to work on her Board Game business but it's also the debutante's coming out party season and she and her twin are attending the balls. Pandora wants to be an independent woman and gladly uses an escape to search for a lost earring in the gazebo by a friend. While reaching for it, she manages to get caught in the wooden scroll work of a sofa and is rescued by Lord Gabriel St. Vincent but is also spotted by two other gentlemen passing by and because of her disheveled appearance she is considered ruined. ( )
  Kathy89 | Jul 19, 2017 |
4.5 Stars - It was so great to see Eve and Sebastian again and loved their son, Gabriel. I love when you read a great romance novel that also includes a nice history lesson. You really see the reality of what it's like to be women entrepreneur back then. Gabriel is sexy but still sweet on Pandora. I liked Pandora just okay but the story was really well written. ( )
  tiffsaddictiontobook | Jul 18, 2017 |
Devil in Spring
by Lisa Kleypas
#3 The Ravenels
Audio narrated by Mary Jane Wells (Excellent)

1870s - London

Superb example of an historical romance and a really fun read! Chock full of humorous banter, characters you'll absolutely adore, and a romance between two likable characters that is heartwarming from the first time they meet.

Lady Pandora Ravenel has always been a precocious girl who does things her own way. After being orphaned by her neglectful parents, she was cared for by a loving older sister who tried to smooth her rough edges but didn't want to dampen her spirit. She's considered a bit wild or odd because she does things her own way and is often impetuous. She has a habit of combining the meaning of two words that fit a situation and making up a new word (this is fun to see in usage). This habit, and her penchant for speaking quickly and always two steps ahead of everyone around her, reminds me of Lorelei Gilmore (for you "Gilmore Girls" fans who will get it). Her mind is always going a mile a minute and she is incredibly smart and imaginative. She is easily distracted, has no patience for things or people who bore her, and is often clumsy (the reason why is explained in the book) which makes her seem a bit addlepated.

She is in the process of marketing a string of board games (a new and unique concept in England) she has designed and will be selling in her brother-in-law's department store (Rhys Winterborne from the previous book in this series). She plans on being a successful businesswoman. As a single woman, she can be in control of her own company, make business decisions and sign contracts, etc. If she were married, all that control and the ownership of the business would legally go to her husband. For this reason, she knows she will never want to marry.

After Lord St. Vincent (Gabriel) hears her curses and gallantly helps Pandora get her head unstuck from a settee (a true "I Love Lucy" moment), an embarrassing predicament for Pandora turns into what looks like something indecent when they are caught together looking disheveled and alone during a party. Because Pandora has now been "compromised," Gabriel is pressured to do the honorable thing and marry her.

Gabriel proves himself and his genuine concern for her in many ways and is pretty much a perfect romantic hero. Pandora's charming personality immediately wins him over, but it takes her a bit longer to trust him not to dash her dreams for her future. While she's stealing his heart, she's also charming his big brute of a bodyguard, Drago (nicknamed Dragon). He doesn't stand a chance as she immediately wraps him around her little finger as well. That was another cute secondary storyline.

Although there was some last-minute drama that didn't seem entirely necessary to the story and the resolution was too pat, this book was completely enjoyable and will go on my list as a favorite. ( )
  AddictedToMorphemes | May 7, 2017 |
I honestly couldn't wait to get my hands on this book. It was on my list of most anticipated books EVER. And Ms. Kleypas didn't disappoint. It was written in the true Lisa Kleypas style that made me fall in love with the original Wallfowers series.
Gabriel is completely swoonworthy, it's in his DNA. He has all the characteristics of a top notch hero....Handsome, couragous, caring, devoted and funny. Pandora was such a wonderful character with her eccentricities not usually found in romance heroines.

Lisa Kleypas is a top selling author for a reason. Her stories are wonderfully written and this one is no exception. It is so well-crafted, the characters feel so real, it seems they could leap off the page. This book will be going in my favorites pile with all her other books. ( )
  CelticBookDragon | Apr 12, 2017 |
To Carrie Feron,
For all your incredible kindness, hard work, and insight, and for making my life and my books more joyful.
Evangeline, the Duchess of Kingston, lifted her infant grandson from the nursery tub and wrapped him snugly in a soft white towel.

An eccentric wallflower…

Most debutantes dream of finding a husband. Lady Pandora Ravenel has different plans. The ambitious young beauty would much rather stay at home and plot out her new board game business than take part in the London Season. But one night at a glittering society ball, she’s ensnared in a scandal with a wickedly handsome stranger.

A cynical rake…

After years of evading marital traps with ease, Gabriel, Lord St. Vincent, has finally been caught-by a rebellious girl who couldn’t be less suitable. In fact, she wants nothing to do with him. But Gabriel finds the high-spirited Pandora irresistible. He’ll do whatever it takes to possess her, even if their marriage of convenience turns out to be the devil’s own bargain.

A perilous plot…

After succumbing to Gabriel’s skilled and sensuous persuasion, Pandora agrees to become his bride. But soon she discovers that her entrepreneurial endeavors have accidentally involved her in a dangerous conspiracy-and only her husband can keep her safe. As Gabriel protects her from their unknown adversaries, they realize their devil’s bargain may just turn out to be a match made in heaven...

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,089,840 books! | Top bar: Always visible