Closed Casket by Sophie Hannah

Closed Casket (2016)

by Sophie Hannah

There is something so satisfying about these books. Perhaps I'm easy to please, but I love Hercule Poirot books, the originals and the re-boot. I don't need to solve the mysteries myself, so I just enjoy getting caught up in the story. These are pure entertainment for me. ( )
  gossamerchild88 | Mar 30, 2018 |
Five stars as an Agatha Christie - Poirot and all were as if written by Agatha Christie. I enjoyed it slightly more than a Hercule Poirot by Agatha Christie because Poirot was less abrasive to Catchpool in this book than to Hastings. ( )
  BridgitDavis | May 26, 2017 |
Poirot and his newest sidekick, Edward Catchpool of Scotland Yard, attend a country house party in Ireland where they come to believe that have been invited to prevent a murder. When a murder does occur, they work outside the local police force to apprehend the killer.

This is Sophie Hannah's second outing channelling Agatha Christie in producing a new Hercule Poirot mystery. The period detail is authentic and the characters are strongly delineated. The twisty-turniness of the psychological shenanigans is pleasantly complex and baffling. Who saw the actual murderer coming? Not me.

So, why rate this lower than its predecessor, The Monogram Murders? What I like about the Poirot books is not just the settings and the plotting and the convolutions of the human condition. I like Poirot and his foibles and funny ways. In this book, told from the perspective of Catchpool, Poirot is hardly there. For long stretches he is physically absent from the action and only really pops up at the end to tell everyone who did it.

I prefer my Point with a bit more Hercule in it. ( )
  pierthinker | Apr 10, 2017 |
It has been about 30 years since I last read anything by Agatha Christie and, even then, it was nothing with Hercule Poirot in so I can't compare this book to the 'real thing'. So, as a standalone book here's what I thought.

I enjoyed the writing from the start, there were rich descriptions of people and locations that managed not to distract from the 'whodunnit' mystery side of things - I was a little surprised at first that the book is written from the perspective of Edward Catchpool and it was a little while before Poirot arrived. Having said that, I don't think this took anything away from the story and (as I mentioned before) I can't compare this to Christie's Poirot stories.

I enjoyed trying to work out who the killer was and was led to false conclusions, as you should be by a decent murder mystery!

My only negative comment about this book (and the reason it lost a star), was that it felt as though Poirot was explaining the same point over and over as he explained who the killer was and their motive for murder - it seemed to me that this could be tidied up a bit so as to avoid treating the reader as a simpleton who needs a lot of explanation.

I have Sophie Hannah's first Poirot novel (The Monogram Murders) and will definitely be adding it to my read pile, I'll also dust off some of my Christie books (including some with Poirot) and I'll be able to make a comparison. ( )
  MarcusKB | Mar 27, 2017 |
The second of Sophie Hannah's books featuring Hercule Poirot. I didn't like it as well as the first one. It seemed rather flat and everytime I started reading it, I would fall asleep. Not quite Christie's Poirot and none of the other characters that usually accompany him.
  hailelib | Jan 29, 2017 |
For Matthew and James Prichard and family, with love
Michael Gathercole stared at the closed door in front of him and tried to persuade himself that now was the moment to knock, as the aged grandfather clock in the hall downstairs stuttered its announcement of the hour.

"What I intend to say to you will come as a shock..."

Among Lady Playford's visitors are two strangers: the famous Belgian detective Hercule Poirot, and Inspector Edward Catchpool of Scotland Yard. Neither knows why he has been invited -- until Poirot begins to wonder if Lady Playford expects a murder. But why does she seem so determined to provoke a killer? And why -- when the crime is committed despite Poirot's best efforts to stop it -- does the identity of the victim make no sense at all? [retrieved 5/9/2017 from Amazon.com]

The world s most famous detective and Agatha Christie s most famous creation returns in this new novel from the New York Times bestselling author of The Monogram Murders a diabolically clever mystery soaked in period atmosphere and loaded with clues, suspense, and danger.

Praise for the New York Times bestseller THE MONOGRAM MURDERS:

I was thrilled to see Hercule Poirot in such very, very good hands. Gillian Flynn

Perfect . . . a pure treat. Tana French

As tricky as anything written by Agatha Christie. Alexander McCall Smith

Terrific . . . uncanny. Bravo! The Boston Globe

Sharply written and rigorously plotted, this Poirot mystery rivals many of Christie s own. NPR"

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 17 Jun 2016 05:51:56 -0400)

"What I intend to say to you will come as a shock ..." With these words, Lady Athelinda Playford -- one of the world's most beloved children's authors -- springs a surprise on the lawyer entrusted with her will. As guests arrive for a party at her Irish mansion, Lady Playford has decided to cut off her two children without a penny . . . and leave her vast fortune to someone else: an invalid who has only weeks to live. Among Lady Playford's visitors are two strangers: the famous Belgian detective Hercule Poirot, and Inspector Edward Catchpool of Scotland Yard. Neither knows why he has been invited -- until Poirot begins to wonder if Lady Playford expects a murder. But why does she seem so determined to provoke a killer? And why -- when the crime is committed despite Poirot's best efforts to stop it -- does the identity of the victim make no sense at all?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,366,610 books! | Top bar: Always visible