Suicide Lake by Ashley Fontainne

Suicide Lake

by Ashley Fontainne

322,001,085 (4.5)None
Recently added bysherry69, audiobibliophile, perusal

Ashley Fontainne is a MUST READ bestselling author, to me, so…when Suicide Lake came up for grabs, I was all over it! I like a little romance with my murder, so Suicide Lake held all the must haves for me. Another hit not to be missed for all mystery/thriller readers.

Poor Renee.

Such a dark and dismal life. She has finally given up. As I read about her, I thought I might even be tempted to walk out on that beautiful dock, check out the heavily polluted water, think about all the suicides that have happened before…and dived in myself.

Ironic that a dead body would save her.

The small town must have a “dick” for a sheriff. Isn’t that mandatory? LOL

I get angry for her. It’s not like she doesn’t try. No education, bad situations and bad choices can take control of our lives, don’t you think? I am very suspicious when she is offered a job at the mayor’s office.

Ashley Fontainne has a way of stringing me along, letting me become complacent, thinking all is good…then BAM…she kicks my teeth in… my heart beats faster and fear and suspense build to an almost unmanageable level. Her endings are the cherry on top of the sundae.

My only complaint…I am so spoiled by her novels that start with action at a fever pitch and go from beginning to end, fell a little flat in Suicide Lake. The first half of the novel seemed a bit slow and not up to her usual standards. Could this be me? Could it be my mood at the time of reading? Does that ever happen to you?

Doesn’t matter, Ashley Fontainne and Suicide Lake rocked and I expected no less.

I received a copy of Suicide Lake from Ashley Fontainne in return for an honest review. ( )
  sherry69 | Jul 25, 2016 |
My original Suicide Lake audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

Renee has lost all hope, and considering all the things life had thrown at her, it was very easy to sympathize with her. But just when she decides to end it all at the local spot known as 'Suicide Lake', she discovers a woman's body in the water, and soon Renee becomes deeply engrossed in a maze of betrayal and deceit.As a romance begins to blossom between Renee and deputy sheriff Cliff, Renee slowly starts to believe that perhaps there could be a more promising future ahead for her. But in a corrupt town full of secrets, Renee's life is threatened once more, and she has to face up to her own problematic past.

Suicide Lake was a suspenseful and very entertaining small town mystery with lots of unexpected twists and witty sarcasm. Although a relatively short story, the characters were fully fleshed out, and in particular, the protagonist, Renee, was characterized superbly. You couldn't help but feel everything she was feeling. Ms. Fontainne managed to trick me once more as I was trusting the wrong character. I just love how you can never predict what it is going to happen in Ashley Fontainne's stories. She gets me every time.

Sara Morsey was a perfect fit for the narration of this audiobook. She embodied the character of Renee just right and kept all the other characters distinct with a range of different, suitable voices. She is just great at getting across the entire Southern flair, which makes the setting and the characters seem so real. There were no issues with the production.

I would highly recommend Suicide Lake if you enjoy thrilling mysteries with a hint of romance and an intriguing small town setting where nothing is as it seems.

Audiobook was provided for review by the author. ( )
  audiobibliophile | Jun 14, 2016 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,985,968 books! | Top bar: Always visible