A Ghostly Light by Juliet Blackwell

A Ghostly Light, Juliet Blackwell

First, I must say, Juliet Blackwell is one of the few authors of Paranormal Mysteries that I have not wearied of... Her main characters do not bore me, nor are they "innocently" stupid, inane, or trite; so they do they make me angry and I continue to read her books!

Mel Turner is in the business of Historical Home Renovations, she is hired by a client to work an additional job renovating a historical lighthouse...

When the client's abusive ex-husband shows up fresh out of a local rehab trouble begins. Soon after being escorted off the island, the man returns and tumbles dead down the lighthouse stairs having being beaten & stabbed.

Mel connects w/ his ghost and at the same time with the ghost of the lighthouse keeper's wife & the apparition of her missing child.

Mel helps the lighthouse keeper's wife's ghost with the mystery of her missing child and deals with treasure hunters who are illegally searching the property.

In addition Mel visits another old house and although she had never been inside, as she walks through has visions of the house as it once was... The house turns out to be a connection to Mel's deceased mother with whom Mel has a deep psychic bond.

I liked the story, the part about the lighthouse keeper's wife was very interesting and the book itself was entertaining. I just wasn't happy with the romantic and overly pat manner in which the above mentioned house was handled. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jul 17, 2017 |
This is the seventh book in the Haunted Home Renovation series, starring Mel Turner, renovator extraordinaire. Her unique specialties are restoring historic places around the San Francisco area, communicating with ghosts, and solving murder mysteries that frequently pop up on her construction sites.

I greatly enjoyed Mel’s latest project, the restoration of a lighthouse and its keeper’s house in San Francisco Bay. The rich history and romance of lighthouses are fascinating, though tragedy and grief are parts of their past too, as Mel quickly discovers.

There are really two mysteries in this book to solve. The first involves the death of Mel’s friend Alicia’s ex-husband, an abusive jerk who shows up on the island unexpectedly and takes a fatal tumble down the lighthouse stairs. The second (and my favorite mystery) is about the mournful ghost who haunts the tower. Hers is a heart-wrenching story, and I easily got into the research Mel had to do to get all the pieces to fit.

A GHOSTLY LIGHT is an enjoyable cozy with likable characters, and the paranormal element makes it even more intriguing. I’ve read one previous book in this series, so I knew some of the backstory, but I think you’d be fine jumping in here.

Disclosure: I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  bookofsecrets | Jul 17, 2017 |
A Ghostly Light is the seventh book in the A Haunted Home Renovation Mystery series.

Alicia has contracted with Mel Turner to renovate a lighthouse and convert the keeper’s house into a B&B. Mel is surprised when she sees Alicia coming her way with a burly bodyguard and soon learns that Alicia’s ex-husband, Thorn who has been abusive in the past, has learned where she is. A little later Mel heads to the lighthouse to see if she can overcome her fear of heights. As she starts up the circular stairway, she meets the dead body tumbling down the staircase. A short time later Alicia walks down the same stairway. Based on the past history of Alicia and Thorn, she becomes the prime suspect.

Mel feels that Alicia is innocent and sets off to find the killer. There are three boaters on the island protesting the privatization of the island. Also, a new member of her crew, Waquisha, appears to be hiding something and Mel needs to find out if she might have known Thorn at some time.

When Mel goes to the historical society to see if there is any record of a female falling/jumping from the walkway, she finds that the material dealing with the lighthouse has gone missing. In addition, Mel and others have been finding what are thought to be “treasure maps”. They appear to be real but has someone gone to a lot of effort to slow up construction.

Mel is able to call on a cast of enjoyable and believable character, including her new love interest, Landon.

Paranormal mysteries aren’t really my thing, but Blackwell blends just enough into the story, to make it that much more enjoyable.

I will be watching for the next book in this exciting series. ( )
  FredYoder | Jul 2, 2017 |
A Ghostly Light by Juliet Blackwell is the seventh book in A Haunted Home Renovation Mystery series. Mel Turner, general contractor and head of Turner Construction, is starting a new project. Mel is working with Alicia Withers to turn the beautiful old Victorian Bay Light lighthouse and the keeper’s lodge into an inn (with restaurant) on Lighthouse Island. Alicia deserves happiness after escaping from abusive ex-husband, Thorn Webster. Mel and Alicia are touring the keeper’s house when Alicia goes still and pale. Thorn Webster steps inside the cottage and wants to speak with Alicia. Buzz, the security guard, escorts Thorn back to the dock, but Mel knows they have not seen the last of him. A little while later, the pair are at the lighthouse with Alicia at the top (Mel is having issues with heights since her last recent brush with death). Mel hears Alicia scream and then Thorn tumbles down the stairs. Alicia arrives on the scene with blood on her hands. Unfortunately, Alicia becomes the prime suspect in Thorn’s death (she had a good motive). Mel knows she did not kill Thorn and sets out to find the real culprit. Matters are further complicated by a couple of ghosts. Thorn is now haunting the island (and being a literal thorn in Mel’s side) and a female ghost in the lighthouse who has issues with men. Can Mel help find closure for the ghosts and capture Thorn’s killer? It looks like rough seas ahead for Mel in A Ghostly Light.

A Ghostly Light is an entertaining paranormal cozy mystery. The book contains good characters and the beautiful setting of San Francisco. Mel is a nice, strong female character with foibles that make her feel real. Mel is having issues with heights since her brush with death on a roof in the last novel. She is trying to overcome this weakness, but it is slow going (especially since she refuses most suggestions). I did feel that it was a little overplayed in the story. It was mentioned a few too many times. I enjoyed the humor provided by Mel’s family. It lightens up the story. Mel has such a great, diverse family (very lifelike). I am rating A Ghostly Light 4 out of 5 stars. The writing is good (as always), but the pace was a little slow. There is quite a bit of information (historical facts, character backgrounds) injected into the story that slowed down the flow. Included in A Ghostly Light is the murder, ghosts, treasure map, protestors, Mel’s issue with heights, Landon not being liked by all family members, various construction projects, and Mel needing a dress for the ballet. There is some repetition of information (needed to be eliminated). The identity of Thorn’s killer was a cinch to figure out. I could discern it before Mel left Lighthouse Island after the murder. The mystery of female ghost was appealing, and I was curious to see how it would unfold. I especially liked the treasure (something I would cherish). A Ghostly Light is the seventh book in the series, but you can read it alone. Readers are given all the necessary details needed to enjoy A Ghostly Light (though I have enjoyed reading all the books in A Haunted Home Renovation Mystery series). I look forward to the next book in this engaging series. ( )
  Kris_Anderson | Jun 29, 2017 |

"When her friend Alicia hires Turner Construction to renovate a historic lighthouse in the San Francisco Bay, Mel Turner can't wait to get her hands dirty. Alicia plans to transform the island property into a welcoming inn, and while Mel has never attempted a project so ambitious--or so tall--before, she's definitely up for the challenge. But trouble soon arises when Alicia's abusive ex-husband shows up to threaten both her and Mel, and later turns up dead at the base of the lighthouse stairs.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,432,070 books! | Top bar: Always visible