Inheriting Edith by Zoe Fishman

Inheriting Edith

by Zoe Fishman

Maggie inherits a house in Sag Harbor NY from an old friend/client as well her benefactor's 82 year old mother, who is suffering from early stage Alzheimers. Maggie and her 2 year old daughter, move to Sag Harbor and begin their new life. Along the way, the create a family unit with Edith, Edith's best friend and a potential love interest.

Inheriting Edith is a light hearted story that doesn't require a great deal from the reader. The author fleshed out Edith very well but Maggie is a bit flat and one dimensional. Reading a story about a strong woman slowly losing her memory is not easy but all of the other plot points seem a flat. One of my biggest pet peeves is when the author names characters that start with the same letter: Liza (the benefactor), Lucy (the 2 year old daughter) and Lyle (the ex love interest) and Edith and Esther (her best friend.) There are 24 other letters in the alphabet available for usage!

Inheriting Edith is a beach read - you are engaged when you read it, can put it down easily and not worry that you missed much (except who all of the L named characters are). ( )
  mfbarry | May 21, 2017 |
Maggie and Edith are an unlikely pair. Maggie is the cleaning lady and Edith has not been particularly close to any of her 'help.' Liza was Maggie's friend and Edith's daughter and she left a gorgeous house in Sag Harbor and Edith to Maggie in her will. How can you inherit an elderly woman? Well that was just a part of the package - the house and Edith. You see, Edith was aging and had just been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

Maggie had a decision to make.

It was actually an easy decision - carrying out the decision was not quite so easy. Edith did not believe she needed to be taken care of by a gold-digger cleaning lady!

That is the simple premise of this story. From the beginning you know that they will figure it out. That's a given - and actually a comfort. You want Maggie and Edith to create a family.

The unexpected part is Edith's own story. As her short term memory fades her past becomes more and more real. And in a brilliant moment she decides to ask Maggie to write down those memories. Stories of a dancer's life in NYC and the beauty and difficulties she hid to achieve.

This is a story of mothers and daughters and the secrets that keep them apart and draw them together. It's a story of the horror of Alzheimer's and the depth of friendship. It's about making a new family from the friends you surround yourself with.

I enjoyed this one! It was a great beach read - Costa Rica book #2 ( )
  kebets | Feb 8, 2017 |
I really enjoyed this book much more than I thought I would. A single mother who cleans houses for a living, ends up with a wonderful house left to her by a former client, but also the woman's mother who has Alzheimers. Yes, we can figure out life lessons, but the writing was good and the characters were well done. Turns out I have read a few books by this author and I'll make sure I didn't miss any. ( )
  mchwest | Jan 4, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I've made several attempts over the past few months to read this book, but sadly I just couldn't get into the story. The storyline is interesting enough and the book is well-written and edited, but there's just nothing that grabs or holds my attention and I finally gave up after page 63. I'm setting this aside for now and hope that if I return to it in a few months I'll be able to read and enjoy the story.
  BookDivasReads | Dec 24, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Inheriting Edith is Zoe Fishman's latest book.

Maggie is a single mom who has been working as a house cleaner. One of her clients is a well known author, who treats her well. But when Liza kills herself, Maggie is stunned to find out that she has been left a house in Sag Harbor - complete with the author's eighty year old mother Edith - who has Alzheimer's.

This reader was immediately engaged with Fishman's characters. I think each reader will have a favorite character, based on their stage of life. Maggie is a pull no punches woman, struggling to do her best by her little daughter, who has a voice in the story as well. (Some of her dialogue is a bit advanced for the age of the child, but out of the mouth of babes...) Edith is the character who spoke to me the most. Her struggle with memory, everyday living and putting the past right struck close to home for me. I thought Fishman did a great job portraying the everyday issues that come with Alzheimer's - from both Edith and Maggie's viewpoint. I did find Edith's friend Lillian a bit overdrawn and over the top.

There aren't a lot of surprises in Inheriting Edith - this type of story has been written before. But Fishman's premise was unique and I found her exploration of motherhood, friendship, grief, aging, illness, self discovery and yes, love, to be thoughtful. I think book clubs would enjoy this novel.

If you're in the mood for a heart string tugging tale, consider Inheriting Edith. ( )
  Twink | Dec 19, 2016 |

From the author of Driving Lessons, Saving Ruth, and Balancing Acts comes a poignant breakout novel about a single mother who inherits a beautiful beach house with a caveat—she must take care of the ornery elderly woman who lives in it.

Maggie Sheets is just trying to get by. A single mother, she works as a house cleaner and dreams of the days when her financial woes will be over. When her former employer, Liza, a renowned author Maggie once considered a friend, takes her own life, Maggie learns that she has been included in the will and now owns a beautiful home in Sag Harbor. But there’s a catch: Maggie’s also inherited Liza’s eighty-two year old mother.

Edith has always prided herself on her independence, but a recent Alzheimer’s diagnosis has her wary about the future. She’s left on her own to pick up the pieces of her daughter’s death until Maggie, with her toddler in tow, arrives at her house, guarded but determined to make their unlikely situation work. Edith is angry and uninterested, until she suffers a fall and must rely on Maggie. Together they begin to heal the hurt left in Liza’s wake, and when Maggie offers to transcribe Edith’s life for her to help hold onto the moments she’s terrified of losing, a tentative alliance forms.

As Maggie helps Edith resolve the aftermath of a long-held secret—and confronts both the roots and repercussions of one of her own—each woman embarks on a path to forgiveness, acceptance, and a life-changing friendship.

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 25 Jun 2016 11:14:00 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Zoe Fishman's book Inheriting Edith is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,019,618 books! | Top bar: Always visible