On Turpentine Lane: A Novel by Elinor Lipman

On Turpentine Lane: A Novel

by Elinor Lipman

1941886,474 (3.59)20

Quick, light, summer "beach read" ( )
  ValNewHope | Aug 5, 2018 |
A little cheesy, a little predictable, but a lot of fun ( )
  Lisa5127 | Jun 2, 2018 |
Well I pretty much adored this; I haven’t read a novel in one sitting for some time, but I didn’t want to put it down. It was hilarious with great characters, romance, and a little murder mystery just for the hell of it! ( )
  celiafrances | Apr 1, 2018 |
I think this book could be a casualty of bad timing. I feel like it had an awful lot of what I like about books - quirky characters - fresh story line - it even had short chapters! But something didn't click for me. It definitely felt like work at the end to pick it up and finish it. I wonder if a different time and place I would have felt more engaged. ( )
  alanna1122 | Mar 16, 2018 |
Bit of a Lipman throw-away. I loved some of her earlier novels and don't expect every one to be as great! ( )
  triscuit | Oct 4, 2017 |
For Jonathan
If I hadn't been naive and recklessly trusting, would I ever have purchased 10 Turpentine Lane, a chronic headache masquerading as a charming bungalow?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 054480824X, Hardcover)

At thirty-two, Faith Frankel has returned to her claustro-suburban hometown, where she writes institutional thank-you notes for her alma mater. It's a peaceful life, really, and surely with her recent purchase of a sweet bungalow on Turpentine Lane her life is finally on track. Never mind that her fiancé is off on a crowdfunded cross-country walk, too busy to return her texts (but not too busy to post photos of himself with a different woman in every state. And never mind her witless boss, or a mother who lives too close, or a philandering father who thinks he's Chagall.

When she finds some mysterious artifacts in the attic of her new home, she wonders whether anything in her life is as it seems. What good fortune, then, that Faith has found a friend in affable, collegial Nick Franconi, officemate par excellence . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 14 Jun 2016 03:46:23 -0400)

"An endearing romantic comedy from the beloved best-selling author of The Family Man and The View from Penthouse B At thirty-two, Faith Frankel has returned to her claustro-suburban hometown, where she writes institutional thank-you notes for her alma mater. It's a peaceful life, really, and surely with her recent purchase of a sweet bungalow on Turpentine Lane her life is finally on track. Never mind that her fiance is off on a crowdfunded cross-country walk, too busy to return her texts (but not too busy to post photos of himself with a different woman in every state. And never mind her witless boss, or a mother who lives too close, or a philandering father who thinks he's Chagall. When she finds some mysterious artifacts in the attic of her new home, she wonders whether anything in her life is as it seems. What good fortune, then, that Faith has found a friend in affable, collegial Nick Franconi, officemate par excellence. Elinor Lipman may well have invented the screwball romantic comedy for our era, and here she is at her sharpest and best. On Turpentine Lane is funny, poignant, and a little bit outrageous."--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,834,477 books! | Top bar: Always visible