On Turpentine Lane: A Novel by Elinor Lipman

On Turpentine Lane: A Novel

by Elinor Lipman

Elinor Lipman, you've done it again. You've given us a witty novel full of interesting characters. I laughed, I worried, then I laughed some more. Faith, the main character, buys a house without letting her boyfriend know, and you go through all the discoveries she does about the history of the house and the people who lived there. Lots of surprises, lots of bad and good life decisions by Faith. Wonderful writing, as always, from Lipman. Now I just have to wait for her to write another. ( )
  smallwonder56 | Mar 19, 2017 |
Lipman lite - I so miss one of my favorites, the skilled and hilarious author of The Pursuit of Alice Thrift and Isabel's Bed. Lipman lately has been turning into a Rom-Com writer and my expectations suffer as a result. Here, the novel begins with Faith Frankel at 32, with an unreliable BF who's wandering the country in search of - ?, with Faith funding half with her credit card. She is the victim of a mini-scandal at her job and buys a creepy old house. Her father leaves her mother for a younger woman. Yes, there are points of light - her father paints ersatz Chagalls for Bar Mitzvah presents - but there's all the neat little painless wrap-ups which makes this more of a beach read. Gravitas and real conflict needed badly! ( )
  froxgirl | Feb 26, 2017 |
Faith Frankel has recently come back to her roots in Everton, and decides to buy the house at 10 Turpentine Lane - without telling her fiance, Stuart, who's off on a cross-country walking tour finding himself after an emergency appendectomy has him philosophizing about life. Then all hell breaks loose in her office, because one of the school's donors made out a substantial check to Faith herself, rather than the school she works for, and the only person who stands up for her is her officemate Nick. Throw in a little bit of mystery about the previous occupants of Faith's new house, and you've got the flavor of Elinor Lipman's newest novel, featuring an independent heroine, eccentric relatives, and lots of heart and humor.

I expected some light, fun reading and was not disappointed. Faith's family was hilarious and heartbreaking by turns, and I found myself both maddened by them and cheering for them. The funny, fast dialog is Lipman's standard fare, and I really enjoyed the time I spent with the characters populating On Turpentine Lane. ( )
  bell7 | Feb 20, 2017 |
This novel is trademark Elinor Lipman -- a witty, optimistic, comedy-of-manners about a family whose quirky members work their way through relationships that break, morph or endure. It’s more a collection of subplots than a main storyline, so while Lipman’s abundant dialogue makes the pages fly, the story itself (a little mystery) builds slowly and the pleasure (as always, with Lipman) is in being surprised and entertained by the characters.

(Review based on an advance reading copy provided by the publisher.) ( )
  DetailMuse | Jan 30, 2017 |
Coming back to write this review, I just can't keep from laughing. Poor Faith Frankel has got the biggest idiot that ever lived for a fiancee. I'm sorry but if you read this book, you will know. How she never saw that until he decided to do a marathon across America, I will never know.

Luckily, she does discover that fact.

This was a cute little romance book that has plenty of chuckles. For those of you who care - there is no sex. I really enjoyed hearing about the exes, the best part was when they portrayed themselves however. The author did a great job with their characters. She left nothing to the imagination. I loved the "date" Faith found for Brooke after she broke up with Faith's fiancee.

Oh and the deal with Faith's father and Tracy - HILARIOUS. He so deserved it. I hope you can tell that I really, really enjoyed this book. Entertaining, endearing, enjoyable and downright funny.

Thanks Houghton, Mifflin and Harcourt for approving my request and to Net Galley for providing me with a free e-galley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  debkrenzer | Jan 23, 2017 |
For Jonathan
If I hadn't been naive and recklessly trusting, would I ever have purchased 10 Turpentine Lane, a chronic headache masquerading as a charming bungalow?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 054480824X, Hardcover)

An endearing romantic comedy from the beloved best-selling author of The Family Man and The View from Penthouse B

At thirty-two, Faith Frankel has returned to her claustro-suburban hometown, where she writes institutional thank-you notes for her alma mater. It's a peaceful life, really, and surely with her recent purchase of a sweet bungalow on Turpentine Lane her life is finally on track. Never mind that her fiancé is off on a crowdfunded cross-country walk, too busy to return her texts (but not too busy to post photos of himself with a different woman in every state. And never mind her witless boss, or a mother who lives too close, or a philandering father who thinks he's Chagall.

When she finds some mysterious artifacts in the attic of her new home, she wonders whether anything in her life is as it seems. What good fortune, then, that Faith has found a friend in affable, collegial Nick Franconi, officemate par excellence . . .

Elinor Lipman may well have invented the screwball romantic comedy for our era, and here she is at her sharpest and best. On Turpentine Lane is funny, poignant, and a little bit outrageous.

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 14 Jun 2016 03:46:23 -0400)

6 wanted1 pay2 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,214,337 books! | Top bar: Always visible