Hope (Carolrhoda Picture Books) by Isabell…

Hope (Carolrhoda Picture Books) (edition 2004)

by Isabell Monk, Janice Lee Porter (Illustrator)

Member:andestac
Title:Hope (Carolrhoda Picture Books)
Authors:Isabell Monk
Other authors:Janice Lee Porter (Illustrator)
Info:First Avenue Editions (2004), Paperback, 32 pages
Tags:biracial, racism, children's, picture book, acceptance, hope

Hope (Carolrhoda Picture Books) by Isabell Monk

2. I really enjoyed this book and thought it taught a powerful lesson. One thing I really enjoyed about this book was the illustrations. I enjyed how the pictures took up the entire page with words on top of that. For example, the one page where it was an outdoor scene and the words of the story were placed on the trees in the background, it really made the pictures come to life and helped picture the story more clearly. I also really enjoyed the characters in this book. The little girl Hope and her aunt were such good assets to the story. I enjoyed how the aunt was such a strong influence on the niece and how she helped her niece realize that being “mixed” is something to be proud of. When the aunt said to respond to anyone that asks her if she is mixed with, “Yes I am generations of faith mixed with lots of love! I am Hope!” I really thought that was such a strong and powerful thing to tell a little girl that did not understand what mixed meant. It made me like the characters in the book a lot. I think the message of this story is that being mixed should not be looked at upon as different or strange, but it should be viewed as unique and one should be proud of that. Although people are all different colors, they should still be proud of who they are because that makes them unique. ( )
  jobend2 | Feb 5, 2014 |
I liked this book because it described the love of a child for a favorite Aunt. Hope described her Aunt as having all the Love of the world inside her and it twinkled in her eyes. I loved the storyline, how Hope went to the market with her Aunt and they ran into other family members and she heard her uncles booming voice like a train whistle. I loved the descriptiveness. I also liked how it took an intended slight and turned it into a wonderful thing. When Aunt Violate questioned if Hope was “mixed” her beloved Aunt Poogee explained how Hope got her name. It was the hope of many generations for a better life and the hope of her parents for her to be a child of the human race. ( )
  Madams21 | Feb 4, 2014 |
I liked this book because I feel that it offered a smooth transition into explaining the bigger issue of the judgement faced by students of interracial families. In the book, Hope feels ashamed when her aunt’s friend asks if she is mixed. Her aunt helps to explain that being “mixed” is something to be proud of when people ask that question she should answer yes, “I am generations of faith mixed with lots of love! This could be a good mentor text for a narrative writing unit. We would talk about the different feelings Hope had. She felt sad, embarrassed, ashamed, then proud, happy, and hopeful. We would discuss what a narrative is and I would prompt them by saying,"Write about a time when you had one of the same feelings as Hope." ( )
  andestac | Dec 5, 2012 |
Age: Intermediate
Media: Watercolor

The genre of this book is realistic fiction. It is realistic fiction because the characters in this book are not real live people, but they could be since there is nothing different about them. The girl, Hope, is just like any other girl, and the circumstances she goes through with prejudice could be real as well. ( )
  mulstad07 | Nov 24, 2010 |
This book fits the genre of Realistic Fiction. It is true to life and allows children to examine their own lives and learn from Hope in the story. A variety of people are present and unique and the plot works well together. ( )
  eward06 | Apr 7, 2009 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 157505230X, Hardcover)

During a visit with her great-aunt, a young girl learns the story behind her name and learns to feel proud of her biracial heritage.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:24 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,967,128 books! | Top bar: Always visible