Hope (Carolrhoda Picture Books) by Isabell…

Hope (Carolrhoda Picture Books) (edition 2004)

by Isabell Monk, Janice Lee Porter (Illustrator)

Member:andestac
Title:Hope (Carolrhoda Picture Books)
Authors:Isabell Monk
Other authors:Janice Lee Porter (Illustrator)
Info:First Avenue Editions (2004), Paperback, 32 pages
Tags:biracial, racism, children's, picture book, acceptance, hope

Hope by Isabell Monk

Isabell Monk’s “Hope” is a beautiful book that is a perfect choice for any parent / teacher to read to children of all ages. First, the story is narrated by the young girl who is also the main character. This helps children stay involved in the story because it is being told through someone that they can directly relate to. Secondly, the diction and syntax in this book are accompanied by a wonderful illustration job that is used in order to give the audience the most realistic description of the characters. For example, one of the main characters, Aunt Poogie, is described by her great niece to have a “twinkle in her eye” and her character is illustrated with large eyes and a big smile. This allows the audience to be drawn to Aunt Poogie because the way that her great niece describes her reminds the audience of someone that they know that shares the same qualities as Aunt Poogie. Next, “Hope” goes on to depict Aunt Poogie’s friends as nice and caring people. For example, her friend Mr. Stewart is described by the narrator to always have “cherry licorice for me, and a smile.” The narrator is showing how polite and caring the rest of the community is along with how it makes everyone feel better when people are nice to each other. The story takes a turn when one of Aunt Poogie’s acquaintances, Miss Violet, says something that hurts the feelings of both Aunt Poogie and the narrator. Miss Violet says “is this child mixed?” This quote is followed by the narrator feeling sad and confused about what Miss Violet was trying to say. Aunt Poogie tries to cheer up the little girl by telling her stories about her grandpa Jack and how he had to try to get cats down from a cherry tree back on their farm when he was child. Children can relate to this because most of them are told bedtime stories just like the narrator is. Aunt Poogie goes on to tell more culturally relative stories to the child while making the point that being mixed means that the narrator is the product of “faith “mixed” with lots of love.” The young girl begins to feel better realizing that although she is “mixed” that is not a bad thing because she is the product of “Hope” for past and present generations. The big idea of this book is to inspire young children who come from “mixed” heritages and to teach children who do not come from diverse backgrounds that being “mixed” is not a bad thing. Rather, it means that those children are the products of progression and “Hope” that one day everyone can embrace each other rather than discriminate. ( )
  Conor_Thackston | Sep 19, 2016 |
Connections to Civics and History through a family story. Strong Equity theme.
  ccsdss | Feb 24, 2016 |
2. I really enjoyed this book and thought it taught a powerful lesson. One thing I really enjoyed about this book was the illustrations. I enjyed how the pictures took up the entire page with words on top of that. For example, the one page where it was an outdoor scene and the words of the story were placed on the trees in the background, it really made the pictures come to life and helped picture the story more clearly. I also really enjoyed the characters in this book. The little girl Hope and her aunt were such good assets to the story. I enjoyed how the aunt was such a strong influence on the niece and how she helped her niece realize that being “mixed” is something to be proud of. When the aunt said to respond to anyone that asks her if she is mixed with, “Yes I am generations of faith mixed with lots of love! I am Hope!” I really thought that was such a strong and powerful thing to tell a little girl that did not understand what mixed meant. It made me like the characters in the book a lot. I think the message of this story is that being mixed should not be looked at upon as different or strange, but it should be viewed as unique and one should be proud of that. Although people are all different colors, they should still be proud of who they are because that makes them unique. ( )
  jobend2 | Feb 5, 2014 |
I liked this book because it described the love of a child for a favorite Aunt. Hope described her Aunt as having all the Love of the world inside her and it twinkled in her eyes. I loved the storyline, how Hope went to the market with her Aunt and they ran into other family members and she heard her uncles booming voice like a train whistle. I loved the descriptiveness. I also liked how it took an intended slight and turned it into a wonderful thing. When Aunt Violate questioned if Hope was “mixed” her beloved Aunt Poogee explained how Hope got her name. It was the hope of many generations for a better life and the hope of her parents for her to be a child of the human race. ( )
  Madams21 | Feb 4, 2014 |
I liked this book because I feel that it offered a smooth transition into explaining the bigger issue of the judgement faced by students of interracial families. In the book, Hope feels ashamed when her aunt’s friend asks if she is mixed. Her aunt helps to explain that being “mixed” is something to be proud of when people ask that question she should answer yes, “I am generations of faith mixed with lots of love! This could be a good mentor text for a narrative writing unit. We would talk about the different feelings Hope had. She felt sad, embarrassed, ashamed, then proud, happy, and hopeful. We would discuss what a narrative is and I would prompt them by saying,"Write about a time when you had one of the same feelings as Hope." ( )
  andestac | Dec 5, 2012 |

Isabell Monkprimary authorall editionscalculated
Porter, Janice LeeIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 157505230X, Hardcover)

During a visit with her great-aunt, a young girl learns the story behind her name and learns to feel proud of her biracial heritage.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:53 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,721,157 books! | Top bar: Always visible