The Seventh Plague by James Rollins

The Seventh Plague

by James Rollins

mom (159)

James Rollins is nothing is not a prolific writer and, if this book is any example, uses a wide range of fascinating facts -what he calls ‘bread crumbs’ – to lend authority and veracity to his improbable but not absolutely unbelievable tales.

The Seventh Plague referred to is the thunder, hail, and fire sent to scare Pharaoh into letting Moses and his people go: the nub of the book concerns an archaeologist and his entire team who vanish when searching for proof that the Biblical plagues were historical reality.

Two years later the archaeologist is found, partially mummified, deep in the Sudanese desert, but dies before giving any explanation. When his body is cut open during autopsy, a new and terrible plague is released into the world, necessitating the involvement of the American Sigma Force.

If you are new to the Sigma Force, don’t worry: you can enjoy the novel without knowing any backstory. Action ranges from Sudan to the Arctic, and covers subjects as diverse as Albino Elephants, Electric Bacteria, and Climate Change.

The writing is hardly first class but, as all James Patterson fans know, when has poor writing ever got in the way of a good story? ( )
  adpaton | Aug 10, 2017 |
I expected a lot from this story as I am a fan of James Rollins but I was disappointed. I found myself skipping pages. There were 3 subplots and none of them fit together well. I fact, I am not even sure which subplot was the main plot. Very disappointed. ( )
  Violette62 | Apr 23, 2017 |
The Seventh Plague is the 12th book in the Sigma Force series and Painter Crowe, Grey Pierce, Seichan, and Kowalski, etc. are back trying to save the world from a deadly threat. This time it seems that they deadly plagues from the Bible could happen again.

This book did not have intense and wonderful thrilling feeling that the last book had. However, it was interesting to read, the idea that the plagues could have happened for real and the theory for it and I loved the historical part of the book that Rollins' included Mark Twain, Nikola Tesla in the story, although they did not have a large part in the whole story (unfortunately).

But, as much as I liked the idea, and enjoyed reading the book, is this not the strongest or the most interesting book I have read in this series and there are no weeping moments (like the ending of the last book in the series). The story was best towards the end when they were searching for a cure. But, Painter Crowe's mission on the Ellesmere Island that intertwined Pierce teams search for the cure was just not so interesting to read and the madman behind the whole thing was not a memorable villain.

The Seventh Plague, worked thanks to my love for biblical and historical mysteries. The story did not move me or enthralled me in the way I had hoped it would do. I did like the ending very much when Pierce team found something extraordinary in the jungle in Africa. That's the part I liked the most. I liked the book, but I did not love it. It's still well written and I'm really intrigued by the scientific part of the story, the theory about what could have set off the plagues all those years ago.

3.5 stars ( )
  MaraBlaise | Apr 14, 2017 |
A good Rollins read but not as fast paced as his usual novels. Not too crazy about the premise he based the nover on. ( )
  joannemonck | Mar 8, 2017 |
James Rollins is in true form with this 12th book in the Sigma Force series. Full of non-stop suspend-your-disbelief action, international intrigue, and historical mysteries, "The Seventh Plague" is action entertainment with a cerebral/scientific slant.

I'm not going to summarize the book here, as you can see that for yourself on the book jacket. Suffice it to say that I was not disappointed when I picked up the book. I love the entire regular cast of characters - Painter, Gray, Kat, Monk, Seichan, and Kowalski. They each have very distinctive personalities, but not to the point of being caricatures of themselves (although Kowalski comes dangerously close - fortunately, Rollins reins that in just in time). Rollins is very good at conveying animal emotions (as can be seen as well in his Tucker Wayne series co-written with Grant Blackwood), and this skill is what elevates the book past just mindless action.

I loved the historical backstory, and I also appreciated that the villain was not 100% evil - because humans in real life are complex that way. It made the villain more interesting.

I didn't give it 5 stars because I found it a tad slow getting started, but then the pace picked up and never slowed down. Nevertheless, "The Seventh Plague" is a worthy addition to the Sigma Series. I look forward to the next one! ( )
  niaomiya | Jan 30, 2017 |

The adventure begins when a British archaeologist—a member of an expedition gone missing for over two years—stumbles out of the Egyptian desert. Before he can explain what happened to his team, he dies. But his remains hold a terrifying discovery that only deepens the mystery: something had begun mummifying his body while he was still alive. Summoned by a former ally at the British Museum, Commander Grayson Pierce of Sigma Force must uncover the truth behind the brutal murder and discover the fate of the missing team.

James Rollins is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,077,480 books! | Top bar: Always visible