Six Wakes by Mur Lafferty

Six Wakes

by Mur Lafferty

English (26)  German (1)  All (27)
I loved this book! I especially liked the gradual reveal of the characters' backstories and how those fit into the main mystery. The exploration of the cultural role and implications of cloning was also super neat. I would love to read more about these characters, past the point where this story leaves off. ( )
  lavaturtle | Jul 9, 2018 |

I had to swallow quite hard to accept the initial set-up - in Lafferty’s future, people routinely transfer their consciousness into younger clones of themselves, but clones have lesser rights than born humans and only one clone is allowed to exist at any one time. It’s no more ridiculous than faster-than-light travel, of course, or than a lot of other social and technological innovations that are sf staples. The plot then is a locked-room murder mystery, where the crew of a long-haul colonising starship are all resurrected to find that their previous bodies have been gruesomely killed and they have lost their memories of the voyage so far. The answers turn out to lie in the very construction of their society. Very nicely done. ( )
  nwhyte | Jul 8, 2018 |
Six Wakes is a science fiction novel where six clones are hired to be the crew on a generational space ship off to colonize a new world with its cargo of frozen colonists. In this world, clones are not created to have copies of people, but rather to insure immortality. When a clone dies the next clone is awoken and given the personality and memories of the last one. However, when the new clones of the crew wake up, they have lost two decades of memories and find the murdered bodies of their previous clone floating in the cloning bay and the machinery to make additional clones destroyed. Now they must find out which one of them is the murderer before it happens again.

I really enjoyed this closed room mystery set on a generational space ship. I liked the characters and the the implications of the cloning technology on the world. I liked how the mystery is slowly unraveled as more information about the crew member backgrounds are revealed. ( )
  Cora-R | Jun 20, 2018 |
Apparently locked room mysteries have become my June reading theme. This time the setting is in deep space on a ship crewed by six clones who wake up in their to their new lives in the midst of a scene of horror with no memories of what events caused them to be reborn. The only thing that's clear is someone is a murderer and they must be discovered before the cycle begins again.

This was a fun little scifi mystery. We have six characters and six points of view. Each character's back story is revealed as the story progresses which helps paint a complete picture exactly why each of these people are on this ship at this time.

The scifi aspects of the world building were fascinating. I really liked Lafferty's idea of cloning and how a person's mind/personality is able to be carried forward. Plus the fact that a person leaves their inheritance when they die to their clone instead of their children just struck me as hilarious! The impacts of the cloning technology on society are vast. It also sparks some interesting ethical questions, which is a theme that the characters consider throughout the story.

As to the mystery, I called it at about 40%. Not the exact solution, but fairly close. It was still a lot of fun to read and join the characters on their discovery of what actually happened before they woke up. This was a lot of fun and could appeal to both science fiction and mystery fans. ( )
  Narilka | Jun 19, 2018 |
Recommended for those who like complex, layered plots; intrigue; cyberpunk; and can deal with a generally nasty setting and unloveable characters.

There is a lot going on with this story, which centres on the six individuals who are running a generation ship, who all wake as clones having lost decades worth of memories of their work together. None of these characters are likeable, and I appreciate that, even while I struggled to get invested. All of them have been selected because of their criminal past, and none of them know what it is that the others have done. I never really did warm to any of the characters except Maria, who got quite a bit of the screen time. By the end of the book, Lafferty has managed to make her more a victim of circumstance than a hardened criminal, which is neither wholly true nor wholly false.

While I struggled with the characters, I did get very invested in the plot and the world building, especially as details of the past lives of the clones came out. I had initial misgivings about mixing a limited group murder mystery with clones in space, but Lafferty mostly manages to balance the two. ( )
  fred_mouse | Jun 9, 2018 |
In the end, Six Wakes is a very impressive novel. I found myself fully invested in the characters and carried along by the powerful pull of the plot as the tension ratcheted up towards the climax. There might be more stories to tell of these characters or the “world” they inhabit, but this was an excellent standalone SF thriller.
added by 2wonderY | editTor.com, Rob H. Bedford (Jan 31, 2017)

Like Asimov's work, Six Wakes offers a set of science-fictional rules that, of course, are going to be bent, broken, and tested throughout the story. Ethical and philosophical dilemmas abound, from the definition of the individual to the nature of identity. Rather than posing them abstractly, Lafferty tethers these big quandaries to an exquisitely wound plot, one that shifts from whodunit to howdunit to whydunit with a breathless sense of escalation.

Mur Laffertyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Benshoff, KirkCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Connie Willis and James Patrick Kelly
Sounds struggled to make its way through the think synth-amneo fluid.

The website TVtropes does a particularly thorough job of book description: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php...

A space adventure set on a lone ship where the clones of a murdered crew must find their murderer --- before they kill again.

It was not common to awaken in a cloning vat streaked with drying blood.

At least, Marie Shea had never experienced it. She had no memory of how she died. That was also new; before, when she had awakened as a new clone, her first memory was of how she died: from illness once and from injury once.

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 18 Jun 2016 07:51:16 -0400)

"A space adventure set on a lone ship where the clones of a murdered crew must find their murderer -- before they kill again. It was not common to awaken in a cloning vat streaked with drying blood. At least, Maria Arena had never experienced it. She had no memory of how she died. That was also new; before, when she had awakened as a new clone, her first memory was of how she died. Maria's vat was in the front of six vats, each one holding the clone of a crew member of the starship Dormire, each clone waiting for its previous incarnation to die so it could awaken. And Maria wasn't the only one to die recently..."--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,293,412 books! | Top bar: Always visible