Our Chemical Hearts by Krystal Sutherland

Our Chemical Hearts

by Krystal Sutherland

*** spoilers alert***

I love the cover, I have never actually seen these fishes blue, always red and orange mix but they are somewhat magnificent.

Our Chemical Hearts was bitter, bitter good. I mean so good that your heart aches from the mixture of pain and reality about love. And I absolutely enjoyed that this was not a traditional love + hate love drama, it was complex and honest about love episodes.

The story is about a boy, Henry, who falls for a new girl (how typical combination), Grace, in his last high school year, she seems very odd by wearing large over-sized man clothing and she is not even thinking of going to take the editor's position she has been offered! This is one time opportunity Henry has work for in the past two years. Bits by bits they actually start to work together and spend time together too. She is mysterious and her FB profile represents complete opposite of the Grace he knows. Not everything is at it seems and not everything is as we assume.

I saw the book including honest points about:
*The one who has lost someone they loved very dearly and they were their 'everything', the next person they are doing to date is going to be the "plaster" for their wounds, they don't mean it but they heal through the new relationship via old wounds.

*There has to be two people who make the relationship, not one. There are pulled strings that makes people fall in love and think it's mutual but it isn't and never has been. It is so important that two people make the contributions to the relationship.

*It is important to hear the other partner, and I mean HEAR what they are saying about themselves and the relationship. We may be thinking we are hearing but we have our own hopes, love blind view and our brains just don't comprehend the words for their meaning.

*Every fresh love wound burns like hell, but it heals both ways, hurts the bitter experience, and love itself but the TIME and other involvements let it heal, the healing needs it's own time, it may take a year or more.

Overall I rated with 4 stars, nearly 5 but there were few Henry's behavior and his dialog's that annoyed me. ( )
  ilonita50 | Jun 12, 2017 |
This one will truly appeal to the the angsty teen, just remember this review is coming from a 46 year old women who is waaaaaay b=past the angsty stage. Not a bad thing but the older reader might get a wee bit irritated by the choices the character make. That being said, it is well written and thought provoking. Really points out the the universal truth of actually loving a person, and not your idea (or ideal) of a person. Trust me, I really needed to learn that back when I was young A lovely coming of age novel with nerdy overtones that appealed to me. I also enjoyed the dialogue between Henry and his parents, though I didn't quite get a plot twist about his parents, which just felt thrown in.

Favourite Quotes/Passages

"You could say I looked something like a male Summer Glau crossed with Severus Snape."

"Maybe we were an anomalous bunch, or maybe high school movies have been lying to us all along, but all I know is that the "jocks" sometimes hung out with the "nerds" and that most people were nice to most other people most of the time." ( )
  mountie9 | Dec 27, 2016 |
I liked Henry's narration throughout this book; he was witty, sarcastic and down-to-earth, but I did not appreciate how he stalked Grace. Grace was an irritating character from the start. Her constant mood swings and her treatment of Henry annoyed me, and I wanted to scream at Henry to walk away from her. However, the ending was touching and sad, earning another star from me. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Dec 13, 2016 |
I liked this book but have found that it is a rather tough one for me to rate. I was initially grabbed by the awesome cover and after reading the description, I just had to read it. There were things that I really liked about it and other parts that just didn't do a lot for me. I have been wavering between 3 and 4 stars and have finally settled on a 4 star rating since it was a rather enjoyable read overall. It was a really quick read that took a few turns that I didn't expect.

I loved the characters in this book. Henry was great. I loved him and his group of friends. His parents and sister were also quite amazing. I wasn't as sold on Grace. From the beginning of the book, it was very obvious that Grace was keeping something major to herself so it is no wonder that her character was more of a mystery. I did enjoy the interactions between Henry and Grace when they were together.

The main focus of this book is really solving the mystery that is Grace and Henry builds a relationship with her. Grace does have some tragedy in her past which is greatly impacting her present. Henry is patient and tries to be there for Grace even though he wants to move forward and focus on a future with her. For Henry, Grace becomes his total focus often to the detriment of other things in his life. In addition to being a story of first love, Henry learns a lot about himself, his family, and his friends over the course of the story.

I would recommend this book to others. I do think that this book is appropriate for older teens. There are some elements to the story that younger teens may not be ready for including drinking and sexual situations. This is the first book by Krystal Sutherland that I have read and I plan to look for her work in the future.

I received an advance review copy of this book from G. P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers via First to Read for the purpose of providing an honest review. ( )
  Carolesrandomlife | Sep 22, 2016 |

John Green meets Rainbow Rowell in this irresistible story of first love, broken hearts, and the golden seams that put them back together again.

Henry Page has never been in love. He fancies himself a hopeless romantic, but the slo-mo, heart palpitating, can't-eat-can't-sleep kind of love that he's been hoping for just hasn't been in the cards for him—at least not yet. Instead, he's been happy to focus on his grades, on getting into a semi-decent college and finally becoming editor of his school newspaper. Then Grace Town walks into his first period class on the third Tuesday of senior year and he knows everything's about to change.

Grace isn't who Henry pictured as his dream girl—she walks with a cane, wears oversized boys' clothes, and rarely seems to shower. But when Grace and Henry are both chosen to edit the school paper, he quickly finds himself falling for her. It's obvious there's something broken about Grace, but it seems to make her even more beautiful to Henry, and he wants nothing more than to help her put the pieces back together again. And yet, this isn't your average story of boy meets girl. Krystal Sutherland's brilliant debut is equal parts wit and heartbreak, a potent reminder of the bittersweet bliss that is first love.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 25 Jul 2016 05:02:23 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,061,634 books! | Top bar: Always visible