Oxford Roald Dahl Dictionary by Oxford…

Oxford Roald Dahl Dictionary

by Oxford Dictionaries

I love Roald Dahl because thanks to him and Johnny Depp with his spectacular Willy Wonka I discovered Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and an imaginary world interesting and captivating. I read all the Wonka books and I continued with many others as well.

So I requested without any kind of hesitation apart a Road Dahl biography for trying to understand much better who this author was in real life, The Oxford Roald Dahl Dictionary by Susan Rennie and Roald Dahl published by the Oxford University Press thinking just later...

Bloody hell, I am italian and now?

When I opened this dictionary at first I was a bit "scared."

Well, I can tell you I would have wanted a similar italian or English or Latin or Greek or french dictionary like this one!

It's truly truly, truly funny, humorous, and your children will fall in love for it.

It is completely colored, funny, thanks to Quentin Black's illustrations and captivating. Thanks to a lot of anecdotes, stories, new words created by Dahl your children will learn with joy and happiness not just the most common English words, but also other funny new ones inserted in Dahl's books. Dahl was a creative like PG Wodehouse.

So be careful when they will speak to you after that they will have read this dictionary. Maybe they will use Dahl's words...
You can't never know..

So, dear parent don't worry, be hopscotchy! ;-) and buy this dictionary without any kind of perplexities to your children. Money very well spent trust me because, for once, I can tell you this, they will open the dictionary with love and curiosity and they will read it with interest!

I thank NetGalley for this book. ( )
  buckwriter | Jan 29, 2017 |
The Oxford Roald Dahl Dictionary is a wonderful companion to his books; an excellent addition to any library, in fact.

This is without question an ideal book for young readers who are reading, or have read, Dahl's books. The fun nature of the dictionary coupled with his delightful books will help to make young readers into lifelong readers and learners. Reading and learning should be fun and this definitely makes it so.

Adults will also enjoy the playfulness of this dictionary, as well as taking you back to your childhood and how the newness of words so often led down completely new avenues.

Reviewed from a copy made available by the publisher via NetGalley. ( )
  pomo58 | Aug 25, 2016 |
I love it! My children love it! Who wouldn't love it? This is a wonderful combination of functional and fanciful. Wonderfully created words by Roald Dahl, defined (and fully illustrates by Quentin Blake) along side normal dictionary entries (all words used in Dahl's books). Thoroughly enjoyable, especially for my boys who are fascinated by "Frobscottle" and "whizzpopping"! ( )
  AdamNu | Aug 21, 2016 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0192736450, Hardcover)

This is not an ordinary dictionary. After all, you wouldn't expect an 'Oxford Roald Dahl Dictionary' to be ordinary, would you? Lots of dictionaries tell you what an 'alligator' is, or how to spell 'balloon' but they won't explain the difference between a 'ringbeller' and a 'trogglehumper', or say why witches need 'gruntles' eggs' or suggest a word for the shape of a 'Knid'.

All the words that Roald Dahl invented are here, like 'biffsquiggled' and 'whizzpopping,' to remind you what means what. You'll also find out where words came from, rhyming words, synonyms and lots of alternative words for words that are overused.

Oxford Children's Dictionaries are perfect for supporting literacy and learning and this is the world's first Roald Dahl Dictionary from the word experts at Oxford University Press. With real citations from Roald Dahl's children's books and illustrations by Quentin Blake, the Oxford Roald Dahl Dictionary will inspire and encourage young writers and readers.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 29 Jun 2016 00:35:56 -0400)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Oxford Dictionaries's book Oxford Roald Dahl Dictionary was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,110,078 books! | Top bar: Always visible