Forgotten Boxes by Becki Willis

Forgotten Boxes

by Becki Willis

133723,089 (4)None

Forgotten Boxes is a suspense novel written by Becki Willis. Charity Gannon lives in Maryland where she has a freelance graphic design business. Charity has come to Vermont to claim her inheritance from her aunt, Nell Tillman. While cleaning out the shed behind the house, Charity discovers a black garbage bag with four boxes inside. The boxes all of labels of Kingdom Parcel with the date of March 14, 1984. March 14, 1984 is the date her uncle, Harold Tillman, was found dead in his delivery truck by the side of the road. His death was declared a suicide. Nell kept the clothes that Harold wore the day he died in her bedroom on a hall tree. The shirt has a bullet hole surrounded by blood. Charity has never been able to get the complete story of her uncle’s death. Kingdom Parcel was the company her uncle started with two investors. Charity decides to deliver the boxes to their intended recipients. The first box provides a heartwarming love story, but the second undelivered box resulted in a terrible tragedy. The final two boxes lead Charity to Tarn Danbury, the sugarmaker and his parents. Charity had encountered Tarn at Dan’s Market in town. He introduced Charity to the delights of Vermont maple syrup and maple cream. These two boxes will provide the answers to a thirty-one year old mystery. But someone else wants those boxes and will do anything necessary to get them.

Forgotten Boxes is nicely written and is easily read. The pace does get a little slow at times especially during the descriptions of the scenery, food, and Tarn. The author likes to be descriptive in her narratives of nature and Tarn (I think she used every adjective available to describe him). The whirlwind romance between Charity and Tarn is very much in the forefront of the book, and I found it to be just plain sappy (I skimmed through the sections on their attraction to each other). I give Forgotten Boxes 2 out of 5 stars. The mystery can be figured out early in the book (it is obvious from the moment Harold goes into business with the two men). The reader will easily figure out what happened to Harold and the business long before it is revealed in Forgotten Boxes. I did not feel that this was a suspense novel (there is no thrill or trepidation at all). I thought the characters lacked development (they are superficial). We never get many details on Charity or her past (though we certainly know what she thinks about Tarn). The author does provide many detailed descriptions on Tarn’s appearance. If you enjoy sentimental romance novels, then you will like reading Forgotten Boxes. If you are looking for a good mystery or suspense novel, skip Forgotten Boxes. ( )
  Kris_Anderson | Jan 8, 2017 |
Charity Gannon is in Vermont to clean out the cottage she has inherited from her aunt. She finds four packages from her uncle's long-dissolved delivery company, undelivered from thirty years previous on the day of his death. She decides to find the owners of the packages and deliver them herself now. She also meets a 'mountain man', Tarn Danbury, who is a maple syrup maker.
I really enjoyed this story until the ending which I thought was just too contrived. The story is a romance as well as a mystery and being a New Englander myself, I enjoyed the discussions of maple syrup making, wood carving, and mud season. So even if I didn't care for the ending of the mystery, I did like ninety per cent of the book and the romance. Charity and Tarn are a perfect couple and the instant falling in love worked here in my opinion. I would definitely recommend this book and I thank Netgalley for allowing me to read it. ( )
  N.W.Moors | Jan 5, 2017 |
This book was a delightful surprise to me. It had all the elements of mystery, murder, suspense, love, questions, darkness and light. There were several thoughts I had about what the mystery could be; at first I was wrong but the light switched on as the story flowed. Though the story unfolds between the past, 1983 to be exact, and the present, it definitely builds the story and is essential to the plot. When Charity Gannon inherits the very small house her Aunt Nell lived in for so many years in a small community in Vermont, she has no idea of the huge changes about to come her way. Why does her aunt have a bullet-riddled and bloody man's outfit hanging in the bedroom? What is the back-story of the presumed suicide of Charity's uncle? Oh, yes, and what about those forgotten boxes in the shed that were never delivered, is it too late to deliver them or would they be a happy surprise to recipients? Charity will soon find out. Who is that huge mountain man she meets in Dan's Market? Becki Willis' writing is very descriptive and brings to life the colours and features of a Vermont autumn. She writes with passion and beauty. Personally, I felt the switches of chapters to the past were fascinating, but I wouldn't have guessed what would come from the events of the past so many years later. Suspense, crime and trickery, sorrow and happiness, suspicion and clarity, and a beautiful romance. ( )
  readerbynight | Jun 17, 2016 |

Named sole heir to her aunt's estate, Charity Gannon arrives in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont, hoping to find a link to her past. She's not looking for lost treasures; she is searching for a connection to the aunt she barely knew. What she finds is a thirty-something-year-old mystery and questions with no answers. A sad, secluded cottage, all but hidden amid the vines. A man's suit of clothes, tainted with dried blood and a bullet hole. Four forgotten boxes, stuffed into a large bag and buried in the far corners of the shed. These are not just any boxes. These are unopened, undelivered boxes, left behind by the now-defunct Kingdom Parcel. All four boxes are marked March 14, 1984-the very day her uncle, president and driver for the delivery service, was said to have committed suicide. Four forgotten boxes, whose owners might still be out there, waiting for a delivery that never arrived. The undelivered boxes haunt Charity, tugging at her conscience. Hadn't someone noticed them missing? As Charity sets out to deliver the packages to their rightful owners, she discovers that the story behind one box is delightful. Another is heartbreaking. And one might very well be the death of her.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,415,844 books! | Top bar: Always visible