Davenport House by Marie Silk

Davenport House

by Marie Silk

A young woman realizes she is surrounded by mystery right before her father dies. Her mother and the family doctor insist it was by natural causes, but all is not as it seems in Davenport House.
Gothic. That is the only word I can think of to explain this particular novel. While reading, I had no idea what time period it was supposed to be set in (my initial thought was 1880ish, but that was proven incorrect as it is actually set in 1915), or where it was set (I thought somewhere in Britain until about halfway through when Pennsylvania is mentioned).
The story has no finesse. We are told how someone feels and not shown. The changes in scenes are abrupt and jar the reader out of the story. The plot is predictable and hardly a mystery at all.
All in all, I have no interest in continuing the series ( )
  TheQuietReader | May 11, 2017 |

"Davenport House is the first book in a family saga following the wealthy Davenports and their servants in 1915 America. Mary Davenport is a 22-year-old idealist who worries that the world in the Progressive Era is leaving her behind. She lives isolated in the Pennsylvania countryside with her affluent and secretive family. When her father dies suddenly, Mary becomes pained with grief and increasingly suspicious of those around her. A humble servant girl has the chance of a lifetime to become a lady's companion. Costly dresses, exquisite rooms, and fine dinners are pleasant distractions from what is really happening in the house." -- Amazon.com… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,411,174 books! | Top bar: Always visible