Southsiders by Nigel Bird

Southsiders

by Nigel Bird

721,138,814 (3)None

My favourite character was Jesse although I felt so sorry for him because both his parents are losers! I loved Jesse's spunk and intelligence, what a great kid. I did not like his parents and that is putting it mildly.
The primary reason I enjoyed this novella is all the characters elicited an emotional response, whether good, bad, angry, or sad and that to me is good writing and a book worth reading.

Please note: I received a free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. ( )
  LorettaR | Aug 3, 2015 |
This story showcases Bird's strengths, such as creating believable everyday characters and placing then in a setting that is utterly real. In this case a 12-year old finds himself unexpectedly "orphaned" after his abusive mother and his nearly-beaten-to-a-pulp father both decide to take off at the same time. His ingenuity in coping with this situation is interesting, but the father's story as he journeys to Belfast to visit an old acquaintance, his wife, and their new baby becomes much more interesting. The sexual tension between the father and his friend's wife is very well done and there is a great scene between the two of them. However the developing plot lines for both the father and the boy are preempted by an unsatisfying, abrupt ending that leaves the reader wondering if there is a sequel coming. I certainly hope so, because there are so many threads left untied here it is hard to believe the author would do it on purpose! ( )
  datrappert | Jan 2, 2015 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,663,930 books! | Top bar: Always visible