The Sons of Brabant: Book I of The Devil's…

The Sons of Brabant: Book I of The Devil's Bible Series

by Michael Bolan

111820,536 (4)None

Author Michael Bolan takes a religious zealot with narcissistic tendencies, places him in 17th century Europe in a position of power, surrounds him with like-minded powerful friends, pits him against a liberal-leaning socialist group of brave freedom-fighters, and then waves his magic storytelling wand to give us a complex, provocative story.

This book is set in 17th century Europe, and Bolan clearly knows his history. Actual events are woven in or used as launching points, and the characters' mindsets reflect what we know about the era.

Initially, I had trouble finding my footing within the story. The writing style is that rare omniscient viewpoint, so we frequently jump from one character's thoughts to another's, and there is no standout main character. We also meet a lot of characters right from the beginning, making it difficult to keep up. But once the pieces started to fit together, I was hooked.

We're given a lot of depth with the relationships between the characters, as well as with their specific plights. As the story progresses, we come to understand each one's desires and heartaches.

As the plot unravels, we engage in quite a bit of war strategy. While this is handled exceptionally well, these parts became a little more difficult for me to get through. War strategy is not a big interest for me personally, so the amount of detail sometimes dragged. But it is pertinent to the story and, as I mentioned, the realism is impressive.

This is not a self-contained read, in that there is no clear ending. The storyline continues on into book 2 and beyond, so be prepared to invest in the series if you want to find out happens to everyone involved. ( )
  Darcia | Nov 17, 2016 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,907,773 books! | Top bar: Always visible