The Alchemist in the Attic by Antonio Urias

The Alchemist in the Attic

by Antonio Urias

91950,433 (4)None

I picked this one up last year when it was offered as a kindle freebie. I'm glad I did, because it ended up being one of those rare good kindle freebies.

Set in San Francisco during the late 1800's, the book centers around Theodore Atwood, a down-on-his-luck newspaper reporter working to come up with a sensational story in order to try to save the newspaper he works for. Bodies begin being found around the bay in batches, all of whom are missing their internal organs. Atwood begins investigating and is soon set on a course fraught with danger and all sorts of shady characters.

I did find the beginning a bit slow, but once it finally got going I was hooked. I had kind of sussed out just what the alchemist in the attic was up to, but even then, I didn't have it right on, and still ended up being surprised.

The book ended at 94%, and the rest was a two chapter preview of the first in a series he's writing. I liked it well enough to download the free prequel novella. ( )
  stellar_raven | Jun 16, 2018 |

San Francisco 1899.

As the city prepares to welcome the new century, a twisted killer enacts his final, grisly legacy.

Theodore Atwood is a disgraced reporter desperate to find a story can save his career. No one knows San Francisco’s seedy underbelly better, but the deeper he digs the more grotesque and bizarre the case becomes.

Haunted by dreams and phantoms, Atwood follows the killer’s trail from the den of thieves and bodysnatchers to a secret society of spiritualists and occultists. Meanwhile, hidden in the shadows the alchemist readies for his enemies. Disgraced and dying, he will sacrifice countless lives to complete his terrible work.

As the city descends into a fevered nightmare around him, Atwood is caught in a deadly game of cat and mouse. He will have to fight to the brink of madness and beyond in order to survive. For he has entered a world of dark science and alchemy and there is no turning back.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,287,090 books! | Top bar: Always visible