Blade of the Destroyer by Andy Peloquin

Blade of the Destroyer

by Andy Peloquin

821,035,133 (4.33)None

If you love Anti-heroes, then you will love The Hunter. A hard crusty outer shell, a master killer, but inside there is a man who is tormented and desperate to find his place in society.

The author does a brilliant job creating a magnificent other realm. I love the details of the different religious sects, the different scents of the city, and the general world building. It is brilliantly done as seen through the eyes of the Hunter.
The author, as many fantasy authors do, uses a wide range of less common words. I love this, but there were quite a few times where his word choice, though technically correct, left me scratching my head.
For example, he uses gore a lot, and often in relation to slit throats. Technically, it isn't wrong, but generally gore is associated with more than just blood. Chunks of flesh, entrails, guts, more than just blood, hence the saying blood and gore. Sometimes it is associated with clotting and drying blood, but it isn't typically associated with fresh blood.
Another time, he uses swarthy to describe a dark-skinned prostitute. Technically swarthy means dark skinned, but it is typically used to describe people who have had their skin darkened by the sun like pirates, soldiers, archaeologists. Skin that is darkened by the sun has a very different texture than skin that is just naturally dark. I would have gone with something more like dusky, ebony, or sable as they are all softer words associated with women of beauty.
The book could've used a bit more polishing, as there were several grammatical errors, but the story is so enticing that for all but the biggest grammarians, it is passable.
Despite these gripes, which slowed down my reading process, I really loved the characters. I adored Farida, was intrigued by Celicia, entranced by the Beggar Priest, and torn by the Hunter, a villain or at least a man without a conscience at the beginning, but as we learn, he is a killer with his own personal moral code. As a fan of characters like Riddick and Shadoe Van Ives of The Enemy Within, I am eager to read the sequel, Lament of the Fallen, and follow The Hunter on his quest to discover himself. ( )
  HeidiAngell | Jul 29, 2017 |
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. This book was not my cup of tea BUT I found it to be a compelling read about a man finding redemption. ( )
  Cheryl_Nolan | Jul 4, 2017 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,110,688 books! | Top bar: Always visible