Blade of the Destroyer by Andy Peloquin

Blade of the Destroyer

by Andy Peloquin

When I began Blade of the Destroyer, I found myself blown away. The attention to detail and creation of imagery was so intense that I felt I was actually there, alongside the Hunter, watching him carry out his dark deeds. The book was well written and had a nice flow to it. Tension built steadily within each scene and resulted in payoffs that brought me to the edge of my seat. Fearless, unique, and above all dangerous, the Hunter's character is one I adore.

The Hunter is as much a mystery to himself, as he is to others. He knows next to nothing about his past and internalises a strong sense of isolation. With a great sense of sarcasm, the Hunter brings the tale to life and lightens an otherwise dark and twisted plot. There were many surprises and unique twists that I didn't see coming. All in all, I found Einan to be an incredible world of gory Fantasy, where death and suffering are rife.

A true tale of sacrifice, devotion and above all, fear. With so many enemies, will the Hunter survive?
Why not give Blade of the Destroyer a read and find out for yourself. :) 5 stars! ( )
  Daxmunro | Dec 31, 2018 |
The Hunter is a formidable assassin who carries a blade that hungers for blood. His services can be bought at a price, but the man behind the mask knows very little about his own past. On his latest job, things go wrong and he soon discovers what lies in his past.
The hunter is painted as a cold killer in the beginning but as the story goes on, we see that he does care about the homeless people under his 'protection.' It's not easy to write from the PoV of a killer so this makes him a more sympathetic character. I think it was well written and the world the author has created was well described. I enjoyed the book and would recommend it. ( )
  skgregory | May 25, 2018 |
If you love Anti-heroes, then you will love The Hunter. A hard crusty outer shell, a master killer, but inside there is a man who is tormented and desperate to find his place in society.

The author does a brilliant job creating a magnificent other realm. I love the details of the different religious sects, the different scents of the city, and the general world building. It is brilliantly done as seen through the eyes of the Hunter.
The author, as many fantasy authors do, uses a wide range of less common words. I love this, but there were quite a few times where his word choice, though technically correct, left me scratching my head.
For example, he uses gore a lot, and often in relation to slit throats. Technically, it isn't wrong, but generally gore is associated with more than just blood. Chunks of flesh, entrails, guts, more than just blood, hence the saying blood and gore. Sometimes it is associated with clotting and drying blood, but it isn't typically associated with fresh blood.
Another time, he uses swarthy to describe a dark-skinned prostitute. Technically swarthy means dark skinned, but it is typically used to describe people who have had their skin darkened by the sun like pirates, soldiers, archaeologists. Skin that is darkened by the sun has a very different texture than skin that is just naturally dark. I would have gone with something more like dusky, ebony, or sable as they are all softer words associated with women of beauty.
The book could've used a bit more polishing, as there were several grammatical errors, but the story is so enticing that for all but the biggest grammarians, it is passable.
Despite these gripes, which slowed down my reading process, I really loved the characters. I adored Farida, was intrigued by Celicia, entranced by the Beggar Priest, and torn by the Hunter, a villain or at least a man without a conscience at the beginning, but as we learn, he is a killer with his own personal moral code. As a fan of characters like Riddick and Shadoe Van Ives of The Enemy Within, I am eager to read the sequel, Lament of the Fallen, and follow The Hunter on his quest to discover himself. ( )
  HeidiAngell | Jul 29, 2017 |
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. This book was not my cup of tea BUT I found it to be a compelling read about a man finding redemption. ( )
  Cheryl_Nolan | Jul 4, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,566,102 books! | Top bar: Always visible