Spirit Breaker by William Massa

Spirit Breaker

by William Massa

711,138,814 (4)None

ABR's original Spirit Breaker audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

Because I have listened to the previous two books in this Occult Assassin series, I already know just what to expect for the team of Massa and Foster. This is not a bad thing, however unnecessary due to the brief summary of the story so far at the beginning of each. This is something that I appreciate because even if your book is in part of a series, maybe somehow the listener/reader has started with book 2 or 3 or 4 of the series. I have done this, and with some, have found myself completely lost. Resulting in a much less enjoyable listening experience. So far each of Massa’s Occult Assassin books could very well stand alone.

Mark Talon everyone’s favorite Occult Assassin is back for another romp of battling supernatural villains and foiling their otherworldly schemes. Talon is in the employ of a billionaire who seems to have a fascination and hatred for everything paranormal. I want to know more about this guy, where did he come from, where does the money come from, what is the whole story abou devoting so much time and money to bring down the occult.

In this installment Talon must face a cult of apparitions, ghosts or spirits (whatever you want to call them). Finding that the best way to do so is by adding some specialized weapons that his benefactor had created. I love the names of this equipment. First there is the Necro-helmet which is a piece of the, yep you guessed it, Necro-Armor. This allows the wearer to physically fight the ghosts as if they where physical beings. The weapon of choice and Echto-Pulse rifle of course! Does not and will not kill a spirit but will slow them down.

Unfortunately this was my least favorite of the series so far. I wanted so much more and there was plenty of room for Massa to do so, I wanted more depth to the story and characters. Something about this story seemed rushed. Even though this wasn’t my favorite, this is still a great series that I will continue to follow. I really hope Massa ventures out of the novella category and write a full novel of Talon to really fight his way through.

This audiobook also contains a bonus short story Coffin Collector. I am glad it was included because Talon got to go overseas, the birthplace of paranormal endeavors. Another great addition to the series, just too short for my liking.

If you are a fan of military paranormal urban fantasy, without all of the sex, this is the series for you. Very entertaining, well written and satisfying.

Listening to James Foster after such a long time is like finally sleeping in your own bed after an extended road trip. Comfortable, familiar, cozy, warm, etc. As always he did a great job. Solid in every way just

Audiobook provided for review by the narrator. ( )
  audiobibliophile | Oct 16, 2015 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,639,532 books! | Top bar: Always visible