Angelbound Origins Series by Christina Bauer

Angelbound Origins Series

by Christina Bauer

721,138,814 (4)None

To ensure protection from spoilers, please view these reviews on my website if you are okay with them.

Four days ago, I talked about how I was going to Binge Read the Angelbound Origin series that weekend. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to complete it by the end of the weekend (obviously), nor was I able to complete it quickly after. On Sunday, I realized that the first book was over 500 pages, and I wasn't able to complete it until 2AM on Monday. Still suffering from the book hangover later that day, I definitely wasn't in the mindset to read another book. I soon continued with the second book on Tuesday, and just finished the last of the series tonight.

Angelbound | Scala | Armageddon ( )
  VesperDreams | May 20, 2018 |
Let me start off by saying I really enjoyed this series. I ADORED the concept, it was original and unique and I had never read another series or viewed another series like it. Set in Purgatory this story follows a teenage half demon, Myla, and her evolution into something great and powerful. It pits heaven against hell and purgatory is the battle ground though also a contender in the battle. There's a little bit of romance, lots of intrigue, secrets kept and revealed and some fascinating underworld politics.

But, the dialogue! Oh, the dialogue! Myla speaks like an idiot and Christina Bauer breaks some cardinal rules writing her thoughts and dialogue. Daaaaaaaaaaaaamn, should NEVER exist on paper. I can understand if Myla speaks in slang, or has a specific dialect, even if she needs to sounds like a tv-esque California surfer dude, but there are literary techniques that could get that point across without actually writing it out. This is consistent through the series. It does not go away. I felt that it hurt the story more than it helped it. Every time I had to read a word dragged out over 15 letters I was rolling my eyes, groaning internally and contemplating turning the book in to the "I-gave-it-a-shot" shelf.

I am grateful that I did not. As I said, I really enjoyed the story and I read it voraciously over a weekend, again, very perturbed when interrupted. Stick with it, the storyline, the concept, that little hint of romance, will carry you past the dialogues weak points. ( )
  AnaThaylen | Mar 3, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,557,459 books! | Top bar: Always visible