Living With Your Past Selves by Bill Hiatt

Living With Your Past Selves

by Bill Hiatt

511,436,638 (5)None
Recently added byscrow72, SheilaDeeth

A fine young-adult novel with great characters, clever plot, and intriguingly intelligent depths, Bill Hiatt’s Living With Your Past Selves promises to be the start of a really great series. Cross Hogwarts with a regular American school, add well-researched, historically convincing mythology, plus a touch of reincarnation, and you'll get the idea.

Tal Weaver’s past selves changed his present when their memories suddenly woke with puberty and tried to take over his mind. Now the guitarist plays a harp, body-building has more to do with wielding swords than chasing footballs, and friendships have floundered. But dangers and monsters loom when Tal’s one remaining friend seems to know too much. Soon a team of teens are forming unexpected alliances against evil, parallel worlds break in, and a delightfully scary modern day castle hides horrors and more.

I love how the author weaves this tale, with threads of myth and magic, ribbons of genuine affection, brutal teen honesty, pleasing teen depths, and a well-rendered respect for history, tradition, and classical fiction. The writing is smooth and involving. The premise is coolly different. And the story’s quite simply a really good read, for teens, young adults, and adults. My only complaint is the title put me off and made me think of self-help books; but this book is teen fiction at its best! And my biggest request is please would the author turn the prequel novella, Echoes from my Past Selves, into a fully-fledged novel, as I’d love to see more of Tal on his own before the team is assembled.

Disclosure: I met the author online, got hooked when he ran a facebook event about this series, and now I’m eager for more—my favorite Arthurian legends brought up-to-date in the best way possible! ( )
  SheilaDeeth | Feb 24, 2014 |

Bill Hiatt is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,005,598 books! | Top bar: Always visible