Only You (Bachelor Brotherhood) by Denise…

Only You (Bachelor Brotherhood)

by Denise Grover Swank

194537,190 (4.3)None

Only You is the first book of The Bachelor Brotherhood series, but it strongly features characters from the first book in another of Denise Grover Swank’s series, The Substitute (The Wedding Pact #1). While you can definitely read Only You on its own, I strongly recommend reading The Substitute first, both because it gives the reader a better background for Kevin, Megan, and Nicole, and because Only You does have some spoilers for The Substitute.

I was feeling really wishy-washy and picked up three other books as well as starting to watch two movies before I started reading Only You, and then it was like Cinderella’s glass slipper. This was exactly the book I wanted to read, and I didn’t want to put it down. I woke up with my 1 year old at 3 a.m. and couldn’t get back to sleep, so I actually sat down and read “one more chapter” of this book for an hour and a half before I just couldn’t keep my eyes open any more!

I liked Kevin a lot from The Substitute and was excited to see Megan’s protective ex-marine older brother get his own book. Holly’s character is also adorable as well as being multi-dimensional, and I love her relationship with her grandmother and the plot that revolves around that and her cousin. Nicole drives me batty, just like she did in The Substitute, but even she has her moments. While the timeline was pretty fast-paced, I feel like the leads acknowledge that and it doesn’t require a complete suspension of reality. The story was beautifully and compellingly written, as I’ve come to expect from Ms. Swank, and I’m really looking forward to reading the next two books in the series about Kevin’s buddies Matt and Tyler.

This review was cross-posted to my blog, Elley The Book Otter. Check it out for more reviews! ( )
  ElleyOtter | Nov 28, 2017 |
Kevin Vandemeer has left the Marines to return home. His sister found him a fixer-upper to be a project for him. It just so happens to be next door to the woman she wants to fix him up with. Holly Greenwood isn't looking for romance. She is busy working for a dragon lady planning weddings until she builds enough of a reputation to start her own wedding planning business.

Holly doesn't have time for romance but Kevin is the first man she has ever met that she might be willing to break the rules for. Kevin isn't looking for romance either since he has a history of starting romances with crazy women. But their mutual attraction leads to a one-night stand that makes both of them change their minds.

However, when Kevin sees her wedding planning notebook and thinks she is planning their wedding, he bolts. And when Holly learns that Kevin is the son of her dragon lady boss, she knows that they have no possible future.

This romance has quite a large cast of characters. From Kevin's meddling sister Megan, his parents, his two best friends, and his feisty grandmother to Holly's cousin Mel and the grandmother who raised them both but now is suffering from dementia, there are lots of great family interactions. Add in Kevin's adopted kitten and Holly five pound chihuahua named Killer and you have lots of opportunities for humor and misunderstandings.

This was a fun romance filled with engaging characters. ( )
  kmartin802 | Sep 25, 2016 |
I've read quite a few of Denise Grover Swank's books and I always enjoy them! I have noticed the main characters of all her romance books are pretty much the same though. They are never looking for love, in fact most of them swear off dating anyone then end up rushing into a marriage. I don't mind it most of the time but I don't see the problem if for once one of the main characters were actually open and ready for love. It doesn't bother me that much, I'll still read her books it was just something I noticed. ( )
  KeriLynneD | Sep 20, 2016 |
Three friends will play parts in this series with the first to star being Kevin Vandemeer, an ex-marine back home from the war. He has a fixer-upper to try and make money from, a prickly mother, a foxy neighbor and friends Tyler and Matt who will show up in the next two books. He and his friends have had bad experiences with women and have sworn to stay single – thus the brotherhood.

Holly Greenwood lives with her cousin Melanie in the home their grandmother raised them in. Melanie is all for Holly getting to know the new neighbor better – at least at first. Holly works as a wedding planner for a woman that is very difficult to get alone with. In order for her to achieve her dreams she has to put up with her boss, make enough money and avoid relationships that will interfere with the future she has envisioned.

Little do Kevin and Holly realize that staying foot-loose and fancy free may prove to be more difficult than they imagined.

Thank you to NetGalley and Forever (Grand Central Publishing) for the copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. It was a story that was easily read in a day and though somewhat predictable also enjoyable.

3.5 Stars ( )
  CathyGeha | Jun 13, 2016 |

"Warm and funny, the first book in the Bachelor Brotherhood series reads like a great Hollywood rom-com."--iBooks Best Books of JuneA Bachelor Brotherhood NovelNever say never . . .Romance isn't an option for Holly Greenwood. With her wedding planner career on the line she needs to stay focused, and that means pleasing her demanding boss, not getting distracted by her mind-alteringly hot neighbor . . . Ex-Marine Kevin Vandemeer craves normalcy. Instead, he has a broken-down old house in need of a match and some gasoline, a meddling family, and the uncanny ability to attract the world's craziest women. At least that last one he can fix: he and his buddies have made a pact to swear off women, and this includes his sweetly sexy new neighbor. After one hot night that looks a whole lot like a disaster in the light of day, Kevin and Holly are about to learn that true love doesn't play by the rules . . .… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,724,939 books! | Top bar: Always visible