Deadly Dog Days by Jamie M. Blair

Deadly Dog Days

by Jamie M. Blair

^2017 (1) alamw (1) cozy (1) cozy mystery (2) dogs (1) firsts2017 (1) Kindle (1) Lindy (1) mystery (2) netgalley (2) recently (1) Tablet (1)

Cameron Cripps-Haymon is eating her lunch by the canal when she notices a hand reaching of the water - but it's not moving. After the police arrive it's discovered that the body is the "girlfriend" of her estranged husband so Cameron is immediately a suspect. When she finds out that the woman had 5 dogs and that no one is caring for them, she takes them in. These dogs have varying personalities which keeps Cam on her toes.

At the same time as she is "investigating" trying to clear herself from suspicion, she also has to deal with her mother-in-law who regrets handing the family estate over to her son and Cam. The MIL tries to appropriate the house back piece by piece making for some very funny incidents interwoven throughout.

I( enjoyed this book and will look forward to another in this series. ( )
  cyderry | Jul 16, 2017 |
This is the first in a great series for anyone who loves dogs. It's set in a quirky little village, Metamora which is situated around a canal. The village is fading fast due to lack of revenue and the little shops left are struggling to survive.
Cameron Cripps-Haymon is enjoying her lunch by the canal when she spies a hand in the shallow part of the canal. She immediately finds herself involved up to her neck with a murder mystery. Cameron finds herself at the top of the list of suspects even though personally she's never met the young woman.
She inherits the dead woman's assorted group of five dogs which make for some great entertainment. Not to mention the group of misfits who make up the Metamora Action Agency who are trying to help clear her name. Plus her estranged husband's mother who is trying to piece mill her home out from under her.
I love cozy mysteries and this one hits all the right spots. I can't wait to see Ms. Blair has for us next.
I would like to thank Midnight Ink and Netgalley for an e-galley for my honest review. ( )
  sj1335 | Jan 24, 2017 |
Deadly Dog Days by Jamie M. Blair
Source: Netgalley
My Rating: 4/5 stars
My Review:

My luck with the whole cozy mystery genre has been sort of hit or miss and in this instance, it has definitely been a hit. A cast of totally weird characters and an interesting and only slightly heavy plot had me hooked and laughing from start to finish.

Cameron hasn’t ever felt like she belongs in the super-small town of Metamora. Oh, she married a local but the town is quite small and not prone to letting outsiders in easily. Most of the locals are friendly and some, Cameron even calls friend, but she’s never been privy to all the nitty gritty, down and dirty details that make up the close-knit population of Metamora. All that changes the day Cameron discovers a dead body and is accused of murdering the victim. I guess she’s in the middle of the nitty gritty, down and dirty now, isn’t she?

Cameron is certain she didn’t kill the poor young lady and a few members of the Metamora population even believe her, but the vast majority do not. If Cameron has any hope of staying in the town she now calls home, she’s going to have to prove her innocence. Good thing she knows a cop. Bad thing, that cop is her husband she is currently separated from and the man who may or may not have been dating the deceased. Oh, great!! Can it get any worse?? It’s fiction, of course it can get worse.

With very few people actually on her side, Cameron sets out to prove her innocence by enlisting a most unusual and weird group of people. There’s the town drunk who insists on calling Cameron by her full name every time they speak, there’s the town kleptomaniac, the dark and brooding kid from the next town over (remember what I said about outsiders?), and two go-getter high school kids looking to get ahead. Yeah, they’re not quite the Scooby gang and their efforts are often amateurish at best but they sure do provide a load of funny moments.

As if endeavoring to clear her name weren’t enough, Cameron also has a full plate where her private life is concerned. Though she’s separated from her husband, Cameron Cripps-Hayman (that’ll be funny when you meet the drunk!) isn’t entirely sure she’s ready for a divorce, her best-friend is also her handyman, her step-daughter is a constant source of frustration (she wrecks the car!), she has adopted five abandoned and somewhat wild dogs, and her mother-in-law is bat sh*t crazy and hell bent on seeing Cameron gone. Between the murder investigation, all the crazy people, the dogs, and one delightfully huge hoop skirt, Cameron might just come out of this mess with more than she could have ever hoped for. That is, if she doesn’t become a murder victim herself 

The Bottom Line: The more I wrote about this book and all it’s crazy, the more I realized how much I really did enjoy it. Cameron is her own special kind of crazy which actually makes her a great match for the crazy town of Metamora. She’s stubborn and more than a little determined even at the risk of her own life. Her life (and her house) are a hot mess and every new situation she finds herself in is crazier than the last. Flipping pages isn’t a problem when you’re laughing at the antics (and words) involved in solving a murder amidst a town full of weirdos. While Deadly Dog Days is currently a stand-alone read, I can see a lot of possibilities for future reads. After all, it’s pretty clear I like books chock full of weirdos and dogs :) ( )
  arthistorychick | Nov 25, 2016 |
In Deadly Dog Days, the first book in the Dog Days Mystery Series, author Jamie M. Blair weaves an intriguing cozy mystery tale that follows the amateur sleuth adventures of Cameron Cripps-Hayman when she finds herself a suspect in the death of local resident Jenn Berg.

Set in the dying historic tourist town of Metamora, Indiana, Cameron Cripps-Hayman is still trying to find her place in the community, but it has put a strain on her marriage to Sheriff Ben Hayman. After four years of marriage Cameron and Ben separate, and Cameron is left trying to pick up the pieces and move forward with her life. But it isn't easy to move forward when Cameron unexpectedly stumbles upon the dead body of local resident Jenn Berg in the town's canal, and suddenly finds herself a prime suspect in the murder because it has been rumored that Ben has been seeing Jenn. And to make matters worse, Cameron is at odds with her controlling mother-in-law from hell Irene, while also having to deal with her sister Monica and her step-daughter Mia. And if that isn't enough, Cameron adopts the dead woman's five ill-behaved dogs! With the help of a motley group of community service volunteers calling themselves The Metamora Action Agency, Cameron is determined to find the real killer and clear her name.

Deadly Dog Days is a captivating and fast-paced whodunit tale that has enough quirky characters, witty banter and humor, drama, danger, and intriguing twists and turns that will keep you guessing the identity of the murderer. You can't help but get caught up in the drama, calamity and mayhem that ensues as Cameron and her motley crew of call center co-workers and five lovable dogs try to solve the murder and clear her name. Cameron's amateur investigative adventure unfolds with a wonderful balance of comedy, drama, and suspense that easily kept me guessing, and left me wanting more. I can't wait to read the next book in this delightful new cozy mystery series!

I would be remiss if I didn't mention how much I liked the the dog treat recipes that were included. I am going to have to make them for my three fur babies (two Bichon Frises and one crazy Chocolate Lab)!

Deadly Dog Days is an entertaining cozy murder mystery that will easily engage you to join Cameron and her lovable dogs in her amateur investigative adventure!

Disclaimer: I received a copy of the book from the author / publisher via NetGalley in exchange for my honest review and participation in a virtual book tour event hosted by Great Escapes Virtual Book Tours.

http://jerseygirlbookreviews.blogspot.com/2016/11/deadly-dog-days-by-jamie-m-bla... ( )
  JerseyGirlBookReview | Nov 18, 2016 |
Deadly Dog Days by Jamie M. Blair is A Deadly Dog Days Mystery (the first one). Cameron Cripps-Hayman is enjoying the day by the canal in Metamora, Indiana when she spots a hand sticking out of the water. She immediately calls out Sheriff Reins. The body turns out to be Jenn Berg, a local girl in her 20s. Cameron finds out that her estranged husband, Ben (also a police officer) has been going out with Jenn (per local gossip). Everyone in town believes Cameron killed Jenn in a fit of jealously. Cameron gets her phone bank (people who are serving community service) to help investigate. Johnna, Anna, Roy, Logan, and Nick are eager to help. They have dubbed themselves The Metamora Action Agency. But then Reverend Stroup throws them out of the church basement. He does not feel he can have a murderer on the premises (he needs to go back to the seminary). Cameron moves the operation to her home where she gets additional help from Andy, her handyman and budding filmmaker. Things get a little complicated when Ben’s daughter, Mia (16) comes to visit her father (who is living at the local hotel). Another guest at Chez Cameron’s. Then there are the dogs. Jenn owned five (maybe six) dogs and Cameron agreed to take care of them. One of them is a biter. Then Cameron’s sister comes for a visit. Will Cameron and her group be able to find Jenn’s killer with all this chaos?

Deadly Dog Days felt more like a rough draft than a finished novel. At the beginning the author just keeps introducing more and more characters. We never get any real information about the main characters (just the basics). The opening is like someone rambling on and on (and you cannot get them to stop). During the novel, I found information repeated frequently like the author needed filler or she thought the reader was forgetful. There is also contradictory information. I give Deadly Dog Days 2.5 out of 5 stars. The pace of the novel was sluggish. The mystery was sorely neglected in this cozy mystery. The author tried to put too much in one book. I did not mention everything that happened in this novel. I only listed a few tiny items. The author made life in Cameron’s house sound like bedlam. I did not like how the author portrayed the dogs. The dogs in this novel sound like horrific beasts (I felt bad for the poor things). They probably need love and training. I found the mystery portion easy to solve despite the lack of clues. I prefer less humor and more mystery. This was just not the right book for me. ( )
  Kris_Anderson | Nov 7, 2016 |

New to the historic town of Metamora, Indiana, Cameron Cripps-Hayman is looking to make friends with her neighbors. What she isn’t looking for is one of their bodies floating in the canal.

When she and her estranged husband, the town sheriff, are both named suspects for the murder, Cameron takes solving the crime into her own hands, teaming up with her eccentric co-workers who dub themselves The Metamora Action Agency.

As if hunting for a murderer with two high school geniuses, the town drunk, and an elderly kleptomaniac isn’t hard enough, Cameron adopts the five mangy guard dogs of her deceased neighbor. But maybe a stint at playing gatekeeper is just what she needs to come face-to-face with the killer and save another neighbor from being the next victim.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 13 Jun 2016 08:03:45 -0400)

"New to the historic town of Metamora, Indiana, Cameron Cripps-Hayman is looking to make friends with her neighbors. What she isn't looking for is one of their bodies floating in the canal. When she and her estranged husband, the town sheriff, are both suspected of murder, Cameron takes crime solving into her own hands, teaming up with her eccentric group of volunteers who dub themselves The Metamora Action Agency"--Page 4 of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,459,883 books! | Top bar: Always visible