Dark Horses by Cecily Von Ziegesar

Dark Horses

by Cecily Von Ziegesar

162615,960 (4)None

First let me say, I am an animal lover and equestrian. I have ridden all my life and I adore most any story about or centered around horses. Therefore, I was so looking forward to reading Dark Horses and crossing my fingers that the author got the horse stuff right. I can honestly report that she most definitely did.

The story is written from two points of view, Merritt a troubled teenager and an off the track Thoroughbred, named Red, with issues of his own. They both have ended up at Good Fences an equine-assisted therapy program in New England. The program pairs Merritt and Red together and they have an instant connection. Once it is discovered that Merritt is a very talented rider and together her and Red make a great hunter/jumper team, they are shipped off to Florida to train and prepare for the show circuit.

Regrettably, Merritt spent such a short amount of time at Good Fences that she never really had time to work through all her issues. The issues all come roaring back with tragedy strikes at a show.

The healing bond with animals is incredible and the story did justice to that. My only grip is with Red’s character. His character is too human. Does a horse really know what a text is? Come on…. For this reason I could not rate the book higher than a four. ( )
  purpledog | Feb 6, 2017 |
I have never read anything but this author, not even the Gossip Girl books that the television series was based after. Which, I did not watch this show when it was on television. What drew me to this book in the first place was the book cover and second the words "Black Beauty". I am a horse fan. It has been long over due since I have read a horse book. Which I found most of the other characters in this book good, it really was the Merritt and Red show. They were the true stars. I loved the alternating chapters with each of Merritt and Red's voices. The bond that these two shared was lovely. Watching them both blossom into butterflies gave me joy. I could not stop reading this book. I had grown such an attachment to Merritt and Red that by the end I almost cried and smiled at the same time. A must read for horse fans! ( )
  Cherylk | Nov 18, 2016 |

Merritt Wenner has been sent to an equine therapy program where she meets Red--a failed racehorse and a terror in the barn--and begins competitive hunter/jumper riding, finding herself drawn to the groom, Beatrice, and a rival rider, Carvin.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,367,039 books! | Top bar: Always visible