If You Were Me and Lived in... Elizabethan…

If You Were Me and Lived in... Elizabethan England: An Introduction to…

by Carole P. Roman

751,138,814 (5)None

Roman has found a way to teach children about our great history in a fun and engaging way. Most elementary-aged children have no idea when the Elizabethan time period was or frankly, had most likely never even heard of it. Through this series, Roman is introducing children to an important piece of the history that formed our world.

Children would be surprised to learn how small the homes were and the children usually shared beds with their siblings. Now it seems rare for children to even share a room with their sibling.

I never knew that the saying "It's raining cats and dogs." came from this time period. I always wondered what it meant and Roman shares that in this book. Again, the number of clothing layers would likely surprise most children, especially in the summer. I think they will be grateful that clothing styles have changed considerably.

Tabor has done an excellent job of creating detailed pictures pertinent to the time period. Expressions on faces and details in scenery and clothing give children much to look at while reading through the book.

Having this background of the Elizabethan Era will help students as they begin to learn about William Shakespeare in school. The biography of famous people and glossary in the back of the book will also offer more information for children who would like to know more. ( )
  Staciele | Sep 30, 2016 |
This new series of children's books, An Introduction to Civilizations Throughout Time, is very special. They are geared elementary students and perhaps on into the early middle school grades. Former teacher Carole P. Roman is in her element when she introduces children to cultures and to various periods of history. This series incorporates wonderful factual information throughout the story while immersing the reader as the "You" in the story.

So much happened during in Elizabethan England and, author Carole P. Roman writes interestingly of much of those years in the late 1500s to early 1600s. This was an important literary period. Drama and stage productions became important and William Shakespeare wrote his many important works. This was also an important period of discovery and establishment of the wealthy merchant class.

As Ms. Roman tells the story of these developments, the reader can place himself right at the center. He or she will learn that the education was vastly different for boys and girls. Only one child in a lower class was educated and only a boy. Education for girls was solely homemaking skills. The reader will go through what a day in the life of a child during this period was like. Life for a child in Elizabethan England was filled with activity.

The illustrations show vast differences in wealthy and commoners' clothing. Living conditions were vastly different as well. The dark, cobbled, and dirty streets of the city are clearly pointed out. This provides a good opportunity for children to be enlightened as to our current living conditions contrasting with those of Elizabethan England and why the improvements we have are so very important.

I especially like the emphasis on food and food preparation during this period. Contrasting the lower class and wealthy or upper class's style of eating and foods available to them is clearly an important lesson for children of today to learn.

Queen Elizabeth I was a protestant yet she was somewhat tolerant of those of Catholic faith. During this period, usually a country was one faith or the other and intolerant of differing faiths.

I especially like the sections in the back of the book. There is a really nice section with pictures and short biographies of famous and important people during the period. And lastly, the wonderful glossary.

This is an excellent resource for the home or classroom library. More sturdily bound editions would be wonderful in children's school libraries and the children's section of public libraries. While ideal for the elementary age child, entire families can benefit in reading this story about Elizabethan England.

I received a complimentary copy to facilitate a review. Opinions are my own and I was not compensated. ( )
  VeraGodley | Aug 6, 2016 |
I received a copy to facilitate my Review. The opinions expressed here are my own.

The author has given us a look at a time called Elizabethan times. This was when Elizabeth the I was queen. The author has done a great job comparing and contrasting the life of the poor to the wealthy. She also showed major differences between life in the city and the country. In the back of the book she has included a small biography of eight very important people who lived during the Elizabethan period and what they contributed. There is also a glossary included to help explain unfamiliar terms. ( )
  skstiles612 | Jul 17, 2016 |
If you were me and live in...Elizabethan England by Carole P. Roman is another marvelous book in her newest series about Civilizations Throughout Time. Her first series introduced culture and customs to elementary age and younger children and with this series, she brings history to life for older students. Engaging illustrations by Paula Tabor tell the story of what life in Elizabethan England would have looked like in the late 1500s. The author takes the reader briefly through the changes that happened after the Middle Ages with England becoming a world superpower under Queen Elizabeth I. With full-color pictures and easy-to-read text, readers learn about currency, salary and money values, clothing, such as breeches and bodices, dining habits such as "No one used forks!" and foods like pasties and parsnips. The author tells of religion, education and acting troupes, a soon to be famous theater called The Globe, and St. Bartholomew's Fair. Occasional questions throughout the book encourage reflection and discussion. Included at the end is a glossary of words, with pronunciations, and people from the Elizabethan Era and there are three pages of pictures and short biographical descriptions of important people from this period of time. A wonderfully informative book that is sure to capture a child's interest and imagination. ( )
  Anne_Rightler | Jun 13, 2016 |
If You Were Me and Lived in ...Elizabethan England by Carole P Roman is a great book for kids to learn and really enjoy history! I was amazed at how she made history so simple and seen through the child's eyes as she walks the reader through all aspects of life during this time. She discusses possible names, food and drink, play, education, what they wore, housing, religion, and their currency. Where "raining cats and dogs" phrase came from and more. The illustrations are great and helps piece things together. A very detailed and informative book with important people of the day listed in the back of the book. I enjoyed this book myself and know my grand children will too. I received this book for a honest review. ( )
  MontzaleeW | Jun 13, 2016 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,654,629 books! | Top bar: Always visible