Behind the Throne by K. B. Wagers

Behind the Throne (2016)

by K. B. Wagers

Series: The Indranan Wars (Book 1)

1119108,775 (3.93)32

I'm not even going to try to write a better review than Bookaneer's at http://booklikes.com/behind-the-throne-k-b-wagers/book,13856500 . That one says it best. I will just say it was a great adventure that I enjoyed very much. Read in one sitting; gripped start to finish. Enough intrigued me and enough desire to know what happens next that I'm eagerly waiting to read the next in series. Science fiction? Space Opera? Not so much. Yes, it starts with her dragged off a space ship back to home planet. But, the "atmosphere" was more British Empire rulers in India or Africa during 1700's-1800's than a galactic empire 2500 years in the future. Maybe because mostly took place in the palace from POV of princess with a few bits of tech terms and weapons, other planets may as well have been other countries for all the sociological/geographical detail, and only one race of aliens that could have passed for invaded natives in a subservient position (okay, so their religion made them healers but pretty much not fleshed out or alien). A great story for all that. Plenty of glimpses of material that could go into a well-developed series and even get developed into good space opera. Next book in series, [After the Crown], will tell. ( )
  Spurts | Jun 23, 2017 |
Loved this book and didn't want to put it down. This space opera novel has it all: a strong female lead, solid action from page one, incredible world-building with a far-future civilization descended from India, deep characters, and plenty of material for future books, too. Speaking of which, I'm ordering the sequel today because I NEED to know what happens next. ( )
  ladycato | Apr 10, 2017 |
Give me books like this every day

No, it's not perfect, but Behind the Throne is better than most SF you will read today and it is the kind of story I like: A pirate with a secret identity and serious training in weaonry.

I received a review copy of "Behind the Throne" by K. B. Wagers (Orbit) through NetGalley.com. ( )
  Dokfintong | Mar 10, 2017 |
A gunrunner is captured and taken back to Indrana kicking and screaming. It seems she's a runaway princess.

Haili learns that her mother and sisters are under attack back on Indrana. So home she goes, reluctantly, but determined to discover who's been attacking her family.

Very interesting world building, complex and well drawn characters, and a plot that if it doesn't always keep you guessing, certainly presents tons of action and character growth. ( )
  majkia | Feb 23, 2017 |
This is a great story about struggling with duty, destiny, and choosing your own future. The protagonist is an awesome badass, but she has an uphill fight to keep everything from falling apart around her. I got really attached to her and to the characters she's closest to.

I am so impressed that this book is the author's first. I hope there are many more to come! ( )
  lavaturtle | Feb 10, 2017 |

K. B. Wagersprimary authorall editionscalculated
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To all the women who inspire me on the daily.
Past, present, and future generations.
I am here because I stood on the shoulders of Amazons.
Hail. Get up.

"Excellent SF adventure debut." -- Publishers Weekly, starred review

Hail Bristol has made a name for herself in the galaxy for everything except what she was born to do: rule the Indranan Empire.

When she is dragged back to her home planet to take her rightful place as the only remaining heir, she finds that trading her ship for a palace is her most dangerous move yet.

The Indranan War
Behind the Throne
After the Crown

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 21 Jun 2016 13:31:44 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,903,087 books! | Top bar: Always visible