A Field Guide to Lies: Critical Thinking in…

A Field Guide to Lies: Critical Thinking in the Information Age

by Daniel J. Levitin

This came out right before the big "fake news" crisis and describes how to be more critical when evaluating information, whether it be news or statistics. Levitin offers some tools to help us look at statistics and models in which truth might be discerned, but this is really nothing new, the stuff that librarians have been teaching about resource evaluation for years. If it influences hearts and minds, great. ( )
  blgriffin | Feb 10, 2017 |
Underwhelming. Some good refreshers on fallacies, among other things, but I kept waiting for a chapter on climate science and denialism that never came. At times the author's writing style conveys a sort of flip arrogance I found off-putting rather than humorous, as I think was intended. The topic deserved a weightier, more ambitious effort. ( )
  cdogzilla | Sep 28, 2016 |
‘All I know is what’s on the Internet’ – Donald Trump
And there is A LOT on the Internet. How do you pick out the Truth from selective facts or outright lies? Award-winning neuroscientist Dr. Daniel Levithin offers strategies for unmasking deceptions and helping you navigate your way through all the (mis)information available today. Entertaining and informative.

I received a free digital copy of this book from the publisher. ( )
  jmoncton | Sep 25, 2016 |

From The New York Times bestselling author of THE ORGANIZED MIND and THIS IS YOUR BRAIN ON MUSIC, a primer to the critical thinking that is more necessary now than ever.

We are bombarded with more information each day than our brains can process—especially in election season. It's raining bad data, half-truths, and even outright lies. New York Times bestselling author Daniel J. Levitin shows how to recognize misleading announcements, statistics, graphs, and written reports revealing the ways lying weasels can use them.

It's becoming harder to separate the wheat from the digital chaff. How do we distinguish misinformation, pseudo-facts, distortions, and outright lies from reliable information? Levitin groups his field guide into two categories—statistical infomation and faulty arguments—ultimately showing how science is the bedrock of critical thinking. Infoliteracy means understanding that there are hierarchies of source quality and bias that variously distort our information feeds via every media channel, including social media. We may expect newspapers, bloggers, the government, and Wikipedia to be factually and logically correct, but they so often aren't. We need to think critically about the words and numbers we encounter if we want to be successful at work, at play, and in making the most of our lives. This means checking the plausibility and reasoning—not passively accepting information, repeating it, and making decisions based on it. Readers learn to avoid the extremes of passive gullibility and cynical rejection. Levitin's charming, entertaining, accessible guide can help anyone wake up to a whole lot of things that aren't so. And catch some lying weasels in their tracks!

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 14 Jun 2016 04:01:18 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,998,824 books! | Top bar: Always visible