The Twelve Dogs of Christmas by David…

The Twelve Dogs of Christmas

by David Rosenfelt

Description
Andy's long-time friend Martha "Pups" Boyer takes in stray puppies that the local dog rescue center can't handle and raises them until they're old enough to adopt. With Christmas just around the corner, one of Pups's neighbors has just reported Pups to the city for having more than the legal number of pets in her home under the local zoning laws. But things get a lot more complicated when Randy Hennessey, the neighbor who registered the complaint against Pups, turns up dead. Andy doesn't believe Pups could be guilty, but as he starts digging deeper into the truth behind Hennessey's murder, Andy may find himself facing a killer more dangerous than he ever imagined.

This story was part investigation and part courtroom drama. The Andy Carpenter character really made this story for me. He’s smart and funny but there were some other interesting characters too. I liked the tone of the story and it kept my interest throughout. I plan to read more in this series. ( )
  gaylebutz | Dec 11, 2018 |
New Jersey lawyer Andy Carpenter is hired to defend Martha “Pups” Boyer against a zoning complaint. “Pups” fosters puppies for local shelters, in violation of zoning rules that limit the number of pets in a household. Carpenter’s satisfaction in his successful defense of his client is short-lived when the anonymous complainant is murdered and Pups is arrested for the crime. With so much circumstantial evidence pointing to her guilt, how can Carpenter prove her innocent of murder?

I was in the mood for a holiday mystery. Although legal mysteries are not my favorites, I chose this one because of its dog theme. I’m glad I did. I loved the quick-witted, sarcastic protagonist and the ensemble of secondary characters. Grover Gardner is the perfect narrator for this book. He does sarcasm well. I’m looking forward to more visits with Carpenter and his friends and colleagues. ( )
  cbl_tn | Dec 8, 2018 |
Another good story with Andy Carpenter getting his client off of murder charges. A good story with lots of dogs and humor. ( )
  MichelleConnell | Sep 26, 2018 |
A simple and quick story with almost no Christmas content. But who can resist puppies in need of a good home? Andy takes the case of a woman who raises and adopts-out rescued puppies when she's accused of killing the neighbor who complained about her. Rosenfelt builds a decent case and his intentional goofy humor makes this book light fare for holiday reading. ( )
  bookappeal | Dec 12, 2016 |
This is a pretty good mystery. The only thing I wish the author had done was to involve dogs more than he did. As written, the role of dogs in the mystery is not very big, though it remains important. Though he prefers not to wrest with a lot of different facts during the holiday season, trying to connect the dots and does not have to, since he is independently wealthy, Andy Carpenter wants to take on this case. The defendant, Martha “Pups” Boyer, takes in puppies form the local rescue organization and raises the pups until she can find good homes for them. However, though many admire, love and respect Pups, not everyone does. After a confrontation in court with a disgruntled neighbor, who complained about the number of pups Pups was keeping in her house, during which Pups threatened the neighbor, this same neighbor is found dead. Pups is accused of his murder. As the case unfolds, Pups is also accused of killing her now deceased husband and a known offender, in a drive-by shooting, about 18 months previously. Andy must sift through a myriad of confusing and seemingly disconnected dots to figure this one out. To complicate matters, Pups is dying, with little time left to live. Andy believes Pups is innocent and wants to allow her to clear her name and die peacefully, in freedom and not in jail.

This is a well written, interesting mystery. I found it fascinating to watch Andy sift through the many and varied clues to determine which were germane to the case and which could ultimately help him win Pups’ freedom to die in peace. Andy has a crew of colorful characters to help him defend Pups, all of whom are interesting to get to know and watch in action. I have not read any other of David Rosenfelt’s Andy Carpenter novels, but that did not create a problem, as enough back story was provided, making this tale a stand-alone. As I said, I only had hoped for more involvement of dogs in the story. Andy is a colorful persona, but not quite as colorful as Pups, the story’s other main character. I enjoyed watching both interact with each other and other members of the community and the court system. The story has numerous twists and turns until reaching a somewhat surprising conclusion. I found the ending surprising, though clearly not a blot from out of nowhere. The fact that the rich and powerful tried to railroad Pups for their own nefarious actions reminded me of many current, real stories with similar modus operandi by the rich and powerful. I thoroughly enjoyed watching Andy, as he worked his lawyerly thing, while juggling his personal life with its many trials, tribulations and decisions. The holiday setting was great, though not essential to the story line. In fact, it fell into the realm of a side issue/fact, as the book progressed. This is a great book that will interest anyone who enjoys the series or a good, cozy mystery set during the holidays. I received this from NetGalley to read and review. ( )
  KMT01 | Nov 15, 2016 |

"Defense lawyer Andy Carpenter usually tries to avoid taking on new cases at all costs. But this time, he's happy--eager, even--to take the case that's just come his way. Andy's long-time friend Martha "Pups" Boyer takes in stray puppies that the local dog rescue center can't handle, raises them until they're old enough to adopt, and then finds good homes for them. Not everyone admires the work Pups does as much as Andy does, however. With Christmas just around the corner, one of Pups's neighbors has just reported Pups to the city for having more than the legal number of pets in her home under the local zoning laws. Andy happily takes Pups's case, and he feels confident in a positive outcome. Who could punish someone for rescuing puppies, after all, especially at Christmastime? But things get a lot more complicated when Randy Hennessey, the neighbor who registered the complaint against Pups, turns up dead. Pups had loudly and publicly threatened Hennessey after he filed his complaint, and Pups was also the one to find his body. All the evidence seems to point to Pups as the killer, and suddenly Andy has a murder case on his hands. He doesn't believe Pups could be guilty, but as he starts digging deeper into the truth behind Hennessey's murder, Andy may find himself facing a killer more dangerous than he ever imagined."--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,551,058 books! | Top bar: Always visible