Unchained: An Eternal Guardians Novella by…

Unchained: An Eternal Guardians Novella

by Elisabeth Naughton

831,035,133 (4)None

Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Greek mythological love story of two lost souls who bond over their shared experiences.

Opening Sentence: “Find me.”

The Review:

Unchained is a novella set in the Eternal Guardians series that features Prometheus and Circe. Their love story is a little more different from the typical love story. They do have a love at first sight love since they aren’t even in the same “realm” as the other Circe often appears like a ghost to Prometheus but this story is more about how their similar situations bond them together.

As a novella, Unchained is a short story and the events unfold fast. There isn’t much filler. Unfortunately for me I haven’t read anything in this series yet, but I really want too. I love Greek Mythology and I really love to see what authors do with these fascinating stories. I was a little lost in the beginning about the setting but when I pieced it together I really want to read more. I imagine this wouldn’t be an issue with someone familiar to the series and since this is book 8.5 the author shouldn’t really be forced into explaining the setting over and over again.

Prometheus has been unchained for a little while now. He really hasn’t done much since his freedom but watch his daughter and see her for the fine woman she now is. It isn’t until he starts seeing a ghost woman that he really begins to feel the stirrings of emotion. He isn’t even sure if she is real or not at first because she is very cryptic with her messages but he won’t stop until he saves the beautiful woman from whatever it is that she needs saved from.

Circe never expected to actually feel a connection with Prometheus. He was just another means to an end with Zeus. She just needed to get something from him that Zeus wanted but after she felt the spark she knew she could never do it. There was something about Prometheus and the situation that he was in that speaks to Circe. It isn’t until she is in her own private torment that she finally makes a decision on how to fulfil her life.

At the beginning of the story, Prometheus doesn’t seem very motivated but when Circe tasks him with finding her that he is finally tempted to do something. He is just trying to get used to having a life after being chained up for all those years. Circe on the other hand is a strong willed woman. She knows what she wants even if she is forced to stay locked inside a mountain for two thousand years because it holds the power she craves. But after all those years and after feeling that spark with Prometheus she finally decides there is more to life than power. Circe realizes that she isn’t exactly the best person and should sacrifice herself so that Prometheus doesn’t find himself in the same situation he was in for years.

I didn’t really feel the spark for Prometheus or Circe but that may have been because I was still trying to grasp the whole realm thing and how they weren’t really together. I imagine someone who knows the story more may actually feel the connection where I missed it. Otherwise, I still really enjoyed the feel of the story. As a standalone, it works but I think it would be better if you knew the full context of the world a bit better. The cast of characters isn’t really very large so you don’t have to know much background which is explained. I look forward to checking out the rest of this series.

Notable Scene:

Her cell door clanged open. She closed her eyes and held absolutely still, knowing there was no use in fighting. Remembering when she’d struggled yesterday and the blinding pain that had followed.

Before she had time to conjure a protection spell, he snarled and lunged. His big body slammed into hers, knocking her head against the hard stones. Pain ricocheted across the back of her skull. Even though she told herself not to, she tensed and cried out. His fangs sank deep into her throat, ripping through her flesh.

She somehow forced herself to relax so he wouldn’t tear her to pieces. As the shade feasted on her blood, tears streamed down her cheeks. Tears of horror. Tears of agony. Tears of blinding, bitter madness.

This was her fate. To be punished day after day after miserably long day.

Just, she remembered as her vision darkened, as Prometheus had been punished so long ago.

FTC Advisory: 1001 Dark Nights/InkSlinger PR provided me with a copy of Unchained. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Jul 2, 2016 |
Wow! Finally Prometheus’ story. The Titan has had me intrigued ever since I read Natasa and Titus' book "Bound". Wary but lonely he prowls his abode and is haunted by a red-haired temptress who rules his dreams. And now he can finally hold her in his arms but with the knowledge that their time together is fleeting.

Circe was not always a good witch but being imprisoned by Zeus has given her ample time to re-evaluate her life. But in order to escape she must once more turn to her dark side and con Prometheus into rescuing her. But Zeus' plans are much more sinister than she know and she realizes to late that she has led Prometheus straight into Zeus' clutches once again.

ARC provided in exchange for an honest review ( )
  Ash_P | Jun 14, 2016 |
Elisabeth Naughton created another spectacular story in the Eternal Guardians/1001 Dark Nights Series, Unchained. The Eternal Guardians rescued Titan, Prometheus, from Zeus’ tormented twenty-five years ago. He spends his life alone trying to forget his past. He is sought out through dreams by a beautiful woman pursuing his help. This story takes place in the Aegis Mountains and in Olympus. It is suitable for adults.

Elisabeth Naughton continues to impress me with her incredible way of enduring stories that were based on Greek Myths. Prometheus is the Titan that Zeus punished for giving humans fire. In an earlier story, the Eternal Guardians rescued him from Zeus’ torture. This story takes place after that. I love how Unchained connected with events that took place in previous stories. Everything cleverly fell into place.

Prometheus is a likeable character. Especially since he is a god that actually likes us mere humans. He has gone through a lot and understandably questions his sanity. I like Circe (aka Keia). Prometheus and Keia have both been wronged and used by Zeus. They have a lot in common. I respect that Circe has learned from her mistakes and wants to become a better person.

This novella is a quick read that is packed with adventure and twists. I love the ending to the story. I cannot wait to see what Elisabeth Naughton comes up with next. This is a great read for anyone that enjoys contemporary stories based on Greek mythology.

Complimentary copy provided by the author in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  dlynch | Jun 14, 2016 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,908,421 books! | Top bar: Always visible