The Widower's Wife: A Thriller by Cate…

The Widower's Wife: A Thriller

by Cate Holahan

What's It About?
Ana Bacon, a beautiful young wife and mother, tumbled off a cruise ship into dark and deadly waters. Ana is gone--leaving behind her wealthy husband and adorable daughter--but not everything about her disappearance adds up. What secrets did she leave behind?

Investigator Ryan Monahan is a numbers man. So when his company sends him the Bacon case, which could net a ten-million-dollar payout, Monahan doubts that her death is just a tragic accident. But the husband has a substantial alibi and a number of witnesses claim to have seen Ana fall, and the official ruling seems to hold up. Still, the more Monahan uncovers about Ana's life, the more he realizes how many people would kill to keep her secrets hidden. And the closer he gets to the truth, the greater the odds grow that he, too, will take a fatal fall.

What Did I Think?
I really liked the character of Ryan Monahan. He was determined, clever and not an easy man to fool... which was Tom Bacon's dogged intentions in order to collect the five million dollar insurance payment from the policy he talked his wife, and mother of his 3 year old child, into purchasing just prior to the cruise. There were a couple of things that I found impossible to believe that brought down the rating but overall it was an enjoyable read with several "I didn't see that coming moments. ( )
  Carol420 | Aug 7, 2017 |
Ana Bacon, a young housewife and mother to a three-year-old, has fallen off a cruise ship into the dark and deadly water below and it's up to Ryan Monahan to find out exactly what happened to her. Ryan's an investigator and when he finds out that Ana's death could net a huge payout, he's skeptical that what happened was an accident. But her husband has an alibi and the security tape shows Ana falling. And yet Ryan keeps digging and the more he uncovers about Ana's life, the more reason he has to believe it was murder.

We alternate between Ana and Ryan and learn more about Ana's husband, Tom - a drunk who has lost his job. The writing was good. The book was fast-paced and suspenseful. It's full of twists and turns that kept me guessing. But I lost interest after I found out what happened. Also, there were too many things happening all at once towards the end of the book. ( )
  jenn88 | Apr 25, 2017 |
Once you start this book it’s not likely to sit on your night table for very long, you won’t want to put it down. As I read, echoing in my mind was the famous quote “Oh! What a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive.” It starts with financial troubles for an out of work trader, used to living large; a million dollar home, luxury cars and whimsical spending. He made a mistake and is forever considered not employable. He and his wife are now in danger of losing everything. They need a lot of money and fast. In desperation, they decide on insurance fraud. As their scheme to bilk millions from the insurance industry rolls out, complications set in. I suspected a few of the twists early on, but I was so wrapped up in the characters, it didn’t matter. Recommend.

Review previously posted at: www.princetonbookreview.com

Find us on
Face book https://www.facebook.com/princetonbookreview/
Find us on Twitter https://twitter.com/PBR_BookReview
Find us on Pinterest https://www.pinterest.com/pbrbookreview/ ( )
  Princetonbookreview | Mar 27, 2017 |
This was a page turner -- just when you think you know what happened another twist. Ana has returned to work because her husband has lost his job and their lavish lifestyle is going into foreclosure. Ana is niave about her husband and trusts him completely. The cover of the book gives you a hint on what's about to happen. The story is told from two points of view -- Ana's and the insurance investigator who is charged with finding a reason to not payout the 2 million dollar policy. Four stars instead of five because the ending was a little far-fetched. ( )
  Kathy89 | Jan 31, 2017 |
If you want a book that will keep you reading way past your bedtime...will have you convinced that you know how it will end and then to find out in the next chapter that you were totally wrong...that has an ending that you won't see coming....If you are looking for all that and more, The Widowers Wife is the book for you.

Ana and Tom Bacon and their daughter live in extravagant lifestyle until Tom loses his job and they no income to support their family. They are in debt over their heads and will soon leave see their house. While on a short cruise, Ana falls overboard and when Tom tries to collect the ten million dollar insurance policy, the insurance company sends Ryan, a former NYC detective, to investigate whether Ana fell overboard or was pushed.

This is an intriguing story with a crisp plot that will keep you rapidly turning pages. The story is told in alternating chapters by Ana about the past and Ryan about the investigation. It was a great way to tell the story so that the reader sees the entire story,
Keep an eye on this author, I think we'll see some great books from her in the future.

Thanks to the author for a copy of this book for a fair and honest review. ( )
  susan0316 | Oct 2, 2016 |
"...thanks to Holahan’s uncanny skill in pacing....The result is one of those rare thrillers that really will keep you reading all night, especially if you pack it to take on your next Caribbean cruise."

"In this chilling cat-and-mouse tale from Holahan...Holahan keeps the action going."
added by theaelizabet | editPublisher's Weekly (Jun 20, 2016)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,077,699 books! | Top bar: Always visible