Earth to Emily by Pamela Fagan Hutchins
511,436,638 (3.75)None
Recently added byBertha_, arctangent, gpangel, perusal

Earth to Emily by Pamela Fagan Hutchins is a 2015 publication. I was provided a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Emily is in love in her boss, Jack, but it's complicated. Emily is also in love with Betsy, a young girl she has set her heart and hopes on adopting, but it's complicated.

So, as the second book in the “Emily” series launches, we see Emily working her buns off trying to get all her ducks in a row so she can give Betsy her forever home. But, naturally life is erratic and more than one obstacle stands in her way.... things like two runaway kids, a murder, and Betsy's foster parents, who are intent on making Emily look bad. Then there are her feelings for the handsome defense attorney she works for. While things got kind of weird between them at one time, Betsy still harbors hope they can overcome the past, but with all the things going on, they never seem to find the time to talk things over.

First of all I have to confess I have not gotten around to reading the first book in this series- “Heaven to Betsy”. ( I do have the book, and it's embarrassing to admit it's been lingering on my top twenty list for quite some time, but my review deadlines have been brutal, so I kept having to put it aside)

So, I have to say I highly recommend reading the first book before starting this one, but it's not absolutely necessary, since you can easily grasp the situation. I do intend to go back and get caught up, so I know all the particulars about how Emily met Betsy and learn all the specifics about Jack leading up this point.

Having said all that, I found this book to be a very fast paced read, with every element you need to make up a good story. We have mystery and suspense, romance and humor all mixed together with a few heart tugging emotional moments to top things off.

There is never a dull moment in this book with several plot lines going on at once. The characters are charming, real, funny, and at times an enigma. Jack is a guy who apparently likes to keep information close to his vest, and I never quite knew what he was thinking or how he was feeling.

Emily however, was quite forthcoming with her feelings and emotions and of course this makes her character easy for us ladies to relate to and sympathize with. She is optimistic, with a strong moral code she lives by, but underneath her quiet strength, there is a palpable yearning that broke my heart.

Naturally, any time we deal with children who are need, the emotions run high and Emily finds herself in between a rock and a hard place trying to help two teens without ruining her own chance of becoming a parent. I also felt outrage at Betsy's foster parents and the below the belt tactics they pulled on Emily who will undoubtedly make a great mom.

Then there is the romance. Again, Jack drops hints along the way, here and there, that he would like to settle some things between himself and Emily, but there are huge revelations they will have to tackle and come to terms with before they can move forward. Thankfully, we see some real progress before all is said and done.

The dialogue is crisp, sharp, poignant at times, with all the characters, even the minor ones, being well defined.

Overall, this is a fast and easy read, a solid action packed romantic suspense novel with a little something in it for everyone.
This one gets 4 stars. ( )
  gpangel | Aug 4, 2015 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,009,731 books! | Top bar: Always visible