The Damage Done (Inspector McLean, #6)

The Damage Done (Inspector McLean, #6)

113,689,591 (5)None
Recently added byT_K_Elliott

The Damage Done is either very good, or I have very little self-control (or both). I ran through the first five books of this series in one long chore-neglecting marathon; this one came out just at the beginning of a week of exams. But so what? Who needs revision when there's another instalment of DI Tony McLean to be read?

This time, McLean has been shuffled sideways into the Sexual Crimes Unit, and if it was all straightforward, it wouldn't be much of a book. As it is, a big raid goes embarrassingly wrong - but why? And who wants it all brushed under the carpet?

Once more, McLean is poking things that other people don't want poked, and finding out things they wish he hadn't. We also have more of the byzantine politics of Edinburgh's police force, and further developments in people's careers and interpersonal relationships. Makes me wonder what Oswald has in store for the future, but he's setting it up to be good. I think at some point he's going to have to stop moving McLean around and let him develop a stable team - it will be interesting when that happens.

And there's the hint of supernatural. It's rather less obvious in this book than in previous books, and I'm wondering if Oswald means to do anything with the ideas he's introduced. I do like the way Oswald does supernatural, though. It's low-key (and creepy) enough that so far, McLean has managed to keep not believing in it. I wonder at what point McLean is going to wake up and smell the coffee - although Oswald will have to let the poor man get some sleep first.

I shall certainly be looking out for the next book. ( )
  T_K_Elliott | Mar 12, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,340,151 books! | Top bar: Always visible