Whispers in the Mist (A County Clare…

Whispers in the Mist (A County Clare Mystery)

by Lisa Alber

I so wanted to like this book, the story and the great cover made the book seem so appealing. But, there was just something lacking with the book. I had no problems with this being the second book in a series. It was easy to read and the mentioning of past events never bothered me instead it explained the reason for how thing are in Lisfenora and its inhabitants. And, the book started off quite good, but somewhere along half of the book the story just started to drag and it lost its flow and never really got it back.

I suspect that I was partly disappointed because of the lacking of the "Grey Man". As I'm quite fond of paranormal aspects of books did I hope that there could be perhaps something more to the story than an ordinary murder case. It didn't even have to be "real" paranormal, just a hint of something weird. Yes, I know this is not a paranormal book, but this is Ireland with a rich mythological history. And I love mythology and the mix of past superstitions and present skepticism kind of books.

However, it was just foggy weather, perfect for committing a crime. And, it's the crime part that just didn't work that much for me. I just couldn't find myself interested enough, despite the fact that the characters were OK.

So, despite a promising beginning was this not a book for me. I did like parts of the book, but I also had to force myself to read towards the end. The idea of the Grey Man sounded intriguing, but I never felt that it was intriguing enough to make the reading better.

I want to thank Midnight Ink for providing me with a free copy for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Apr 14, 2017 |
Whispers in the Mist is set 12 months after the events of Kilmoon, the first County Clare Mystery. While reading these in order will you give a better understanding of the characters of Merritt and Danny, they work fine as stand-alones as they are dealing with different mysteries.
This one starts off with the discovery of a body in a field. Is the teenage boy just one of the visitors who flock to the village of Lisfenora for the annual Matchmaking festival? Who is he and why would anybody want to kill him? Then a local teenage boy is found murdered.
Two other newcomers to the village, Gemma, a mute young woman, and her brother, Dermot, seem to have significant information local detective, Danny Ahern, needs to crack the case.
As the investigation becomes more and more complex, Danny has a hard time keeping the case separate from his private life.
I enjoyed this one more than Kilmoon because the characters were better drawn and I started to care about them. In particular, Gemma was a really intriguing character. Danny's story is developed and becomes an even more likable character. The mystery is quite a complex tale of family drama and deceit again, with several suspects and a few twists. It's suspenseful but more of a cozy mystery without anything truly dark.
Most reviewers seemed to enjoy the atmosphere and the hints about the Grey Man folklore. I didn't actually feel it added anything to the story. Also, Liam, the matchmaker, became almost superfluous for this story. So there were minor parts that felt forced but overall the plot and the characters were better developed than in the previous book. While I still feel lukewarm about Merritt, I've become fond enough of Danny and Gemma as well as Alan and his dog, I would happily read another County Clare mystery. 3.5 stars.
I received an ARC via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Pet12 | Aug 8, 2016 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 073874896X, Paperback)

“A worthy successor to Kilmoon in tone, mood, complexity, and keen insight into human failures and triumphs.”―Kirkus Reviews

There’s a whisper in the mists

In Lisfenora, Ireland, a strange fog has rolled in off the Atlantic. Along with the fog comes tales of the Grey Man, a predatory faery of local lore who snatches innocent souls into his deadly gloom.

And with the mists come murder

When a teenage boy dies in Detective Sergeant Danny Ahern’s arms, Danny finds himself pursuing his own grey man, a killer who becomes more elusive the closer Danny gets to the truth. A mute woman may be the key to solving the murder and helping Danny heal his own broken life, but first she must unlock the memories from her past.

Praise:

"Lisa Alber's mysteries are atmospheric―brooding, complex, and featuring enough twists and turns to keep you guessing."―Lori Rader-Day, Anthony Award-winning author of The Black Hour and Little Pretty Things

“Rich, dark, and complex―every aspect of Alber’s second novel rises above the commonplace. The mystery’s resolution is expertly teased from layers of motive, obligation, attraction and repulsion, all in a memorably atmospheric setting.”―Sophie Littlefield, bestselling author of The Guilty One

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 29 Jun 2016 00:01:39 -0400)

Lisa Alber is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,701,485 books! | Top bar: Always visible