I See You by Clare Mackintosh

I See You

by Clare Mackintosh

English (62)  All (1)  All (63)
A quick and easy read, engaging with some ‘edge of your seat’ twists. It didn’t trick me well enough though, I need a bit more of a challenge in crime mysteries. ( )
  polyreaderamy | Jun 11, 2018 |
Zoe Walker has a daily routine. She walks to the train station, waits on the platform, finds her favorite spot the car. On her way home one evening, a bewildered Zoe spots her picture in a newspaper classified advertisement. When she investigates the advertisement, she discovers that each day a different woman’s picture has appeared in the ad. The included phone number doesn’t work, and the website listed there, FindTheOne.com, doesn’t appear to be active.

Zoe soon comes to realize that each women pictured in the newspaper ad ultimately becomes a crime victim and those crimes are increasingly violent. Feeling frightened and paranoid, Zoe contacts the police. But when she discovers the true purpose of the advertisement, will Zoe find that she’s become the chosen one?

The intriguing premise for Zoe’s story fills readers with a sense of dread, keeping them wondering exactly how the narrative will play out.
However, despite the diverse, well-described characters, this creepy tale of women unknowingly under surveillance requires massive doses of suspending disbelief for the sake of the story-telling.

It’s understandable that Zoe would be creeped-out and frightened, but the slowly-unfolded reveal regarding the newspaper advertisements strains believability and the ultimate reason behind the entire plot seems considerably out of proportion to the plot hatched in this tale.
And, even if readers ignore all that, the fact remains that the shifty criminals still know how to do what they do without any outside assistance.

But then there’s that final twist, the ones readers are not at all likely to see coming . . . . ( )
  jfe16 | May 28, 2018 |
A deliciously suspenseful read with some twists and turns to confuse the reader, and although I figured the main part of it out (what should have been the main OMG moment) I admit that the first twist got me. I can’t wait to see what Clare Mackintosh comes up with next. ( )
  jhullie | Mar 20, 2018 |
Starts slowly with several characters introduced whose role isn't obvious, but then switches into a fast-paced thriller whose outcome is uncertain until almost the end and the perpetrator's identity very well disguised. The theme of the story is commuters whose daily routine doesn't vary making them vulnerable to anyone wishing them hard. ( )
  edwardsgt | Mar 18, 2018 |
This book was... different. Confusing at first. I will be honest, I had a hard time in the beginning. It wasn't making sense. I knew that it would eventually, but it took a little too long to start to come together for me.

Once the book picked up and really started, I was hooked. I had no idea who was behind everything. Everyone was a suspect. I thought that each character was guilty at one point or another. I never saw that ending coming.

This is one of those books that will keep readers guessing from the get go. It definitely is not obvious who and why. When it happens, it smacks the reader in the face.

This was my first book by Mackintosh. I own another of her book and plan on reading it after reading this one. For those who like a book that will keep you guessing and turning the pages like a crackhead, this is definitely a book for you. ( )
  AmberGoleb | Mar 13, 2018 |

Clare Mackintoshprimary authorall editionscalculated
Atkins, RachelReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Audio, PenguinPublishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Eikelenboom, KrisTranslator/Vertalersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schilasky, SabineÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my parents, who taught me so much.
The man behind me is standing close enough to moisten the skin on my neck with his breath.

The author of the New York Times bestseller I Let You Go propels readers into a dark and claustrophobic thriller, in which a normal, everyday woman becomes trapped in the confines of her normal, everyday world...

It all starts with a classified ad. During her commute home one night, while glancing through her local paper, Zoe sees her own face staring back at her; a grainy photo along with a phone number and a listing for a website called FindTheOne.com.

Other women begin appearing in the same ad, a different one every day, and Zoe realizes they’ve become the victims of increasingly violent crimes—including murder. With the help of a determined cop, she uncovers the ad’s twisted purpose...A discovery that turns her paranoia into full-blown panic. Zoe is sure that someone close to her has set her up as the next target.

And now that man on the train—the one smiling at Zoe from across the car—could be more than just a friendly stranger. He could be someone who has deliberately chosen her and is ready to make his next move…

"The author of the smash bestseller, I Let You Go, propels readers into a dark and claustrophobic thriller, in which a normal, everyday woman becomes trapped in the confines of her normal, everyday world... Every morning and evening, Zoe Walker takes the same route to the train station, waits at a certain place on the platform, finds her favorite spot in the car, never suspecting that someone is watching her... It all starts with a classified ad. During her commute home one night, while glancing through her local paper, Zoe sees her own face staring back at her, a grainy photo along with a phone number and listing for a website called findtheone.com. Other women begin appearing in the same ad, a different one every day, and Zoe realizes they've become the victims of increasingly violent crimes--including rape and murder. With the help of a determined cop, she uncovers the ad's twisted purpose...a discovery that turns her paranoia into full-blown panic. For now Zoe is sure that someone close to her has set her up as the next target. And now that man on the train--the one smiling at Zoe from across the car--could be more than just a friendly stranger. He could be someone who has deliberately chosen her and is ready to make his next move… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,293,204 books! | Top bar: Always visible