I See You by Clare Mackintosh

I See You (edition 2017)

by Clare Mackintosh (Author)

Member:chooki666
Title:I See You
Authors:Clare Mackintosh (Author)
Info:Berkley (2017), 384 pages
Collections:To Read - Suspense Only

I See You by Clare Mackintosh

Zoe Walker, completely by chance, sees her picture in a newspaper, the London Gazette. It's especially disturbing that her picture is included in what appears to be an advertisement for a dating site, or possibly a sex chat line.

It's not long before she learns hat another woman whose picture was also used in one of these ads, for the same website, FindtheOne.com, had her keys stolen from her bag when she fell asleep while riding public transit. Yet another featured woman is killed.

Her son and daughter, and her partner, insist the picture isn't really her, but she continues to be afraid.

Meanwhile, PC Kelly Swift, still trying to rebuild her career from the time when she lost control and assaulted a prisoner, starts out investigating these crimes from the other direction. She investigated the case of the stolen keys, and is the officer the victim in that case calls when she thinks someone has been in her house. When Zoe also calls her, and convinces her there's a series of crimes here, she wants to keep investigating--but she's a British Transport Police patrol officer, not a detective.

Both women are very determined, and not easily discouraged.

Mackintosh very effectively builds an intricate plot, with the clues all there for the reader, while keeping that evidence easy to overlook.

We also get anonymous sections from the viewpoint of the criminal, which are fascinating and chilling and give nothing away.

As the story progressed, there were several points at which I thought I had identified the bad guy, and I was wrong, and the ending was not at all a cheat.

This is a bit darker than my usual taste, and in the content warning category, it should be mentioned that there are sexual crimes recounted.

Overall, though, definitely recommended.

I received a free electronic galley of this book from the publisher via Netgalley, and am reviewing it voluntarily. ( )
  LisCarey | Sep 19, 2018 |
Clare Mackintosh is definitely one of my favorite psychological thriller authors. Her books always grab you from the beginning and keep you guessing til the end. I always have a jaw dropping "Holy Crap" moment and this book did not disappoint. I was so sure at the beginning I knew who it was and I was so wrong!

Zoe is on the tube on her way home from work and while she is looking through the paper she sees her picture in an ad with findtheone.com and a phone number attached to her picture. When she goes home and tells her family they all agree that it is just someone that sort of looks like her and is convinced it is not her in the picture. The next day she sees a different woman in the same ad that she saw her picture and realizes this woman was in the news. What's going on here? Why are there ads with different women each day? Should she be worried about her safety? Is someone watching her? ( )
  MinDea | Sep 9, 2018 |
A quick and easy read, engaging with some ‘edge of your seat’ twists. It didn’t trick me well enough though, I need a bit more of a challenge in crime mysteries. ( )
  polyreaderamy | Jun 11, 2018 |
Zoe Walker has a daily routine. She walks to the train station, waits on the platform, finds her favorite spot the car. On her way home one evening, a bewildered Zoe spots her picture in a newspaper classified advertisement. When she investigates the advertisement, she discovers that each day a different woman’s picture has appeared in the ad. The included phone number doesn’t work, and the website listed there, FindTheOne.com, doesn’t appear to be active.

Zoe soon comes to realize that each women pictured in the newspaper ad ultimately becomes a crime victim and those crimes are increasingly violent. Feeling frightened and paranoid, Zoe contacts the police. But when she discovers the true purpose of the advertisement, will Zoe find that she’s become the chosen one?

The intriguing premise for Zoe’s story fills readers with a sense of dread, keeping them wondering exactly how the narrative will play out.
However, despite the diverse, well-described characters, this creepy tale of women unknowingly under surveillance requires massive doses of suspending disbelief for the sake of the story-telling.

It’s understandable that Zoe would be creeped-out and frightened, but the slowly-unfolded reveal regarding the newspaper advertisements strains believability and the ultimate reason behind the entire plot seems considerably out of proportion to the plot hatched in this tale.
And, even if readers ignore all that, the fact remains that the shifty criminals still know how to do what they do without any outside assistance.

But then there’s that final twist, the ones readers are not at all likely to see coming . . . . ( )
  jfe16 | May 28, 2018 |
A deliciously suspenseful read with some twists and turns to confuse the reader, and although I figured the main part of it out (what should have been the main OMG moment) I admit that the first twist got me. I can’t wait to see what Clare Mackintosh comes up with next. ( )
  jhullie | Mar 20, 2018 |

Clare Mackintoshprimary authorall editionscalculated
Atkins, RachelReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Audio, PenguinPublishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Eikelenboom, KrisTranslator/Vertalersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schilasky, SabineÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my parents, who taught me so much.
The man behind me is standing close enough to moisten the skin on my neck with his breath.

The author of the New York Times bestseller I Let You Go propels readers into a dark and claustrophobic thriller, in which a normal, everyday woman becomes trapped in the confines of her normal, everyday world...

It all starts with a classified ad. During her commute home one night, while glancing through her local paper, Zoe sees her own face staring back at her; a grainy photo along with a phone number and a listing for a website called FindTheOne.com.

Other women begin appearing in the same ad, a different one every day, and Zoe realizes they’ve become the victims of increasingly violent crimes—including murder. With the help of a determined cop, she uncovers the ad’s twisted purpose...A discovery that turns her paranoia into full-blown panic. Zoe is sure that someone close to her has set her up as the next target.

And now that man on the train—the one smiling at Zoe from across the car—could be more than just a friendly stranger. He could be someone who has deliberately chosen her and is ready to make his next move…

"The author of the smash bestseller, I Let You Go, propels readers into a dark and claustrophobic thriller, in which a normal, everyday woman becomes trapped in the confines of her normal, everyday world... Every morning and evening, Zoe Walker takes the same route to the train station, waits at a certain place on the platform, finds her favorite spot in the car, never suspecting that someone is watching her... It all starts with a classified ad. During her commute home one night, while glancing through her local paper, Zoe sees her own face staring back at her, a grainy photo along with a phone number and listing for a website called findtheone.com. Other women begin appearing in the same ad, a different one every day, and Zoe realizes they've become the victims of increasingly violent crimes--including rape and murder. With the help of a determined cop, she uncovers the ad's twisted purpose...a discovery that turns her paranoia into full-blown panic. For now Zoe is sure that someone close to her has set her up as the next target. And now that man on the train--the one smiling at Zoe from across the car--could be more than just a friendly stranger. He could be someone who has deliberately chosen her and is ready to make his next move… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,815,082 books! | Top bar: Always visible