The French War Bride (Wedding Tree) by Robin…

The French War Bride (Wedding Tree)

by Robin Wells

2016 (1) ebook (1) fiction (1) German occupation (1) historical fiction (2) K (1) love (1) Nazis (1) Paris (1) read in 2016 (1) to-read (3) war (1) WWII (1)

I had no idea this was part of a series when I started to read this book, but as far as I know is the books not linked to each other than that they take place in the town of Wedding Tree. All I knew was that I wanted to read this book the first time I saw the cover and then read the description of the book. I have a deep love for books with parallel timelines and I found the description of the book fascinating with two women, old now, finally confronting the past...

READ THE REST OF THE REVIEW OVER AT FRESH FICTION ( )
  MaraBlaise | Apr 14, 2017 |
The French War Bride tells the story of Amelie O'Connor and Kat Thompson and how these two women fell in love with the same man Jack O'Connor. The women meet sixty years after World War II in a nursing home. Moreover, through a gripping and haunting story told by author Robin Wells Amelie's tale of living through the Nazi occupation of Paris unfolds and Kat finally, learns how Amelie became her ex-fiances wife during the war. The French War Bride is a true masterpiece of work and for anyone that enjoys love stories intertwined with the background of World War II will truly be a fan of this book. Author Wells brilliantly spins real events beautifully against the fictional backdrop of these characters. ( )
  JCGirl | Jan 2, 2017 |
At her retirement home in Wedding Tree, Louisiana, ninety-one-year-old Amelie O’Connor is approached by Kat Morgan, the ex-fiancée of her late husband, Jack.
Although her life has been happy, Kat, now in hospice, has questions that only Amelie can answer.

High school sweethearts, Jack and Kat were to marry when Jack returned from France after World War II.
Instead Jack returns with his French war bride, Amelie and a baby.

Amelie insists that understanding only can come by retelling her life story.
Interjections by Kat, reveal her character and complete the
love triangle.
The story is not a "quick read", there is so much to learn of
the mettle of this French woman caught in the perils of World War II.

Bittersweet and intricate, this is definitely a worthwhile historical fiction read. ( )
  pennsylady | Sep 3, 2016 |
I have to say the cover of this book is beautiful, isn't it! It fits in with the rest of the story! So, imagine a few years after losing your husband, after he has passed away, after spending all those years with the love of your life with him. You happen to still be living at the Assisted Living place because that is what your husband needed at the time, and you normally leave your door open so your friends know you are home and perhaps you can get together and do something together, and look who shows up at your door! The last person you ever would expect to show up there is your husband's jilted ex-fiance' who is now 91 years old. Her name is Kat, and she is still looking for answers as to, "why?" Amelie never expects to see this! Yes, Kat was the fiance’ of her late husband, Jack. Kat has to be around the same age as Amelie is, and has been handed a sentence of cancer, with less than six months to live. With her doctor having her get her affairs in order, there is only one thing that Kat wants to know, and that is why Jack proposed to her, making her his fiance’ prior to the World War II, then ended up marrying another woman instead of her? Knowing she cannot go to her grave without getting the answers from Amelie, she confronts her in her own home. (I thought that was quite brazen, but she did it.) Amelie surely feels put on the spot, and where I would have told her it’s none of her business, but in words much nicer than that, Amelie proceeds to try to get Kat to understand. I felt if Kat did not understand by then, after living through the War herself and seeing what it did to people, then she clearly doesn’t have a clue about love. Amelie tells Kat what the love of her life did to end up marrying her instead.
Yikes! I would have died! I mean they are 91 years old, can’t they just drop it by now? Nope! I guess drama never goes away no matter what your age is! However, this makes for hearing a wonderful love story between Amelie and Jack, but why would Kat want to put herself through finding out her fiance’ left her without marrying her, yet married another woman? Kat demands to find out the answers from Amelie, so Amelie gives her the answers she requests. I honestly don’t know that I could dig all that up all over again and have someone judging me at my 91 years of age??? What’s the point? Her husband has past and yes, it’s nice to remember those types of things, but not when you have another angry woman who is demanding answers from you!
This is not a book you are going to read through in a matter of hours, but days because this book covers a lot, it goes much deeper than your regular thriller or other types of books and is actually beautiful, despite Kat. Tune her out and enjoy! (This author has made a note in the beginning of this book about the huge amounts of research this book took in order to write it. I was pretty impressed by what she had to say.) I think most everyone would love this book, and I highly recommend reading it! You'll enjoy this very much.
I received this book for FREE from the Publisher, Berkley/Penguin Random House LLC and NetGalley, in exchange that I read then write a review about this book/what I read. "Free" means I was provided with ZERO MONIES to do so, but to just enjoy the sheer pleasure of reading this book and then writing an honest review about what I thought about this book, regardless if my opinion is positive or negative. I am disclosing this information in accordance with the law set here: http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/16cfr255_03.html
The Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255, 16 CFR 255, Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising Federal Acquisition Regulation. ( )
  lauriehere | Aug 6, 2016 |

World War II Paris serves as the backdrop of a story of compassion, betrayal, and forgiveness from the national bestselling author of The Wedding Tree . . .

“I never knew what he saw in you.”

At her assisted living center in Wedding Tree, Louisiana, ninety-three-year-old Amélie O’Connor is in the habit of leaving her door open for friends. One day she receives an unexpected visitor—Kat Thompson, the ex-fiancée of her late husband, Jack.

Kat and Jack were high school sweethearts who planned to marry when Jack returned from France after World War II. But in a cruel twist of fate, their plans were irrevocably derailed when a desperate French girl overheard an American officer’s confession in a Parisian church. . .

Now Kat wants to know the truth behind a story that’s haunted her whole life. Finding out how Amélie stole Jack’s heart will—she thinks—finally bring her peace. As Amélie recalls the dark days of the Nazi occupation of Paris, The French War Bride reveals how history shapes the courses of our lives. . .for better or for worse.

READERS GUIDE INSIDE

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 15 Jun 2016 16:56:10 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,651,159 books! | Top bar: Always visible