The Little Black Fish by Bizhan Khodabandeh

by Bizhan Khodabandeh

222,551,640 (4.25)None
Recently added bythefreethinker, reluctantm

No tags.

The story is fantastic. The adventures of little black fish is similar to our own life experiences. The use of a black female fish is well thought out. Since, our society holds back women and people of color from venturing out to seek her own path to gain amazing and memorable life experiences and learning from them. A wonderful graphic novel. I hope to see more work from this writer and artist. Well done. ( )
  thefreethinker | Jun 30, 2016 |
Not sure who decided the cover, but: I had a hard time seeing that as a fish at first. Even now, I have to really tell myself it is one.

And it's not the little black fish protagonist either. Why wouldn't we have the little black fish on the cover instead of a picture of his mother, who is only in the comic for the first five or six pages?

I don't get it.

Actually, I don't really get a lot of this comic. I almost do -- a beloved Persian children's story, interesting art, a story that's supposed to be a lesson (although I'm not one hundred percent sure what the lesson is supposed to be if we don't go for the literal, and yet universal, don't-get-eaten-by-a-heron-lesson). It seems like a great idea for a comic book. But I just feel that there's something I'm missing, something off a little bit. Even how I would describe this book seems off. I'd say cute but that's only because there isn't really a word that means what I want to say otherwise. It's kind of bloody and without a happy ending, but nevertheless, cute. See -- that's off.

My seven year old looked over my shoulder when I was reading it and was really interested in the art work. Maybe what's off is that I'm not a kid. I've lost that by now. Maybe as a kid I'd appreciate this comic more.

Still, why isn't the little black fish himself on the cover?

The Little Black Fish by Bizhan Khodabandeh went on sale May 15, 2016.

I received a copy free from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  reluctantm | Jun 14, 2016 |
I highly recommend reading this review. The cover is well done. The artist used one character with many characters sketched into one while the main character is bravely facing the amelioration of characters.

added by thefreethinker | editRVA magazine, thefreethinker (Jun 29, 2016)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,533,203 books! | Top bar: Always visible