Come Home, Angus by Patrick Downes

Come Home, Angus

by Patrick Downes

Angus is angry with his mother, very angry. He packs a few things and runs away. The illustrations are dynamic in that when Angus is angry he is drawn abnormally large to represent his enormous emotion. As he is walking farther away from home, as his fear grows and his anger fades, he gets smaller and becomes subsequently smaller in each illustration. The illustrations make this text dynamite, the use of perspective is extremely clever, and will resonate with children because it offers a concrete example of having overpowering feelings.

Come Home, Angus makes us all realize that it is normal to get angry, and the necessity for us to allow anger to pass and let go of it in place of love and forgiveness. The fear Angus experiences when alone in the city is also powerful and can make a person feel small, indeed. I felt connected to the pouty child and read it happily to my own children, using it as a nice springboard for a deeper conversation about feeling angry. Thumbs up!

This book would be a wonderful way to help children develop emotional intelligences; the drawing of anger as making the child larger is explicit and would be particularly helpful for use of special education teachers and/or counselors. Life in the city, stranger safety, animal treatment, and the dangers of running away are all other possible curricular extensions. ( )
  ginger.norton | Feb 26, 2017 |
Angus woke up angry and took it out on everyone. This book talks about how being angry doesn't give you permission to be rude to everyone. No matter how angry Angus gets and even when he runs away, his mom is waiting right around the corner with a hug for her boy. ( )
  JHowe88 | Feb 15, 2017 |
I really liked this book for the illustrations mostly. I also liked the main character because I thought he was funny, and I also liked the writing style that the author chose. I liked the illustrations because Angus (the main character) was always the main illustration on every page. Either he was larger than everything else, or he was brighter than the background. The illustrations are also loose and sketchy which I enjoyed and they use bright colors. I enjoyed the main character Angus because he just woke up angry one day and kept getting angrier and angrier so he left home. I couldn't help but think Angus getting angry over nothing was funny because in the end he realized he was just scared, which I can relate to that sometimes too. The author wrote " Mama!" he yelled. "Mama, I don't have to listen to you. I'm mad. I'm madder than mad. I don't have to be nice." I thought it was funny how he couldn't describe how mad he was, so he just said I'm madder than mad. I also liked the authors writing style as well, because I think that it really fits the characters well. The way he paced the words on the pages when Angus was leaving home was well developed and it made you continue to flip the pages to finish the book. The big idea of this story is the people you hurt who love you, will always come back to you. ( )
  Becca-Friedel | Oct 10, 2016 |
How different the world is to children ... this story helps adults see some of that, and children see how much parents love them anyway, all the time. ( )
  melodyreads | Sep 14, 2016 |
Angus woke up on the wrong side of the bed and is angry. Because of this he runs away from home....but that only shows him just how much he misses family.
  Gabrielle_Stoller | Sep 8, 2016 |

Angus woke up mad and knew today was not his day. His dachshund, Clive, walked too slowly. His canary, Pennycake, was too loud. And to top it off, his breakfast pancakes were way too skinny.

Angus was in a bad mood, and he decided to run away. He walked two blocks, three blocks, five blocks, then suddenly everything seemed scary and dark. When his mother found Angus, he realized he was better off with her and at home.

The touching story by Patrick Downes and the bold illustrations by Boris Kulikov will comfort young children. It will show them that even when they are angry or frustrated or dealing with other emotions, everything is going to be all right.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 29 Jun 2016 02:36:06 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,958,277 books! | Top bar: Always visible