Picture (Im)perfect by J.S. Frankel

by J.S. Frankel

113,689,591 (3)None
Recently added byZetherBooks

Rating: 3.75

The feels in this book . . . man! I didn't cry, but there were plenty of moments to have done so. I also didn't laugh too much, but that was because of the darker plot. This book had a steady pace, but each chapter ended on a mini-cliffhanger that made me unable to put it down. It was absolutely incredible. J.S. clearly did his research on the topic, and it came across very well. I love that this book was written from Nolan's POV. We got to see him adjust to learning about Mia. I felt for her, but I felt for him too. I think J.S. did a great job with a romance and really getting the reader to accept Mia and root for her and Nolan.

We also got to see Nolan's mom come to terms with everything, and then of course the outside world when Mia was outed. I think I would have cried in this book had the blurb not given so much away.

I also liked that the teens didn't have cell phones or cars. It made it feel like it took place in the early 2000s, which was when I was a teen, so I really enjoyed that.

Though this book has a lower rating than the one I gave Catnip, I liked it more. I know that doesn't make much sense, but I have a chart I go by and I stick to it. Enjoyment wise, this sucker is a 5.

Anyway, I did have a few issues with it. Some of the dialogue was too similar. Everyone said "er" even the parents and principle. It just pulled me out a little bit. Some of the phrases and word choices felt odd (intoned, silence ruled). I've never heard anyone talk like that. This didn't happen in Catnip; well intoned did, but the character was a bit more mature, so having a bigger vocabulary wasn't off-putting. I think it was because this book was in first person and the author was trying to use "hip" phrases that aren't hip. But, it could have just been a character quirk, so who cares. It wasn't a big deal.

Despite the "er's", I felt the character's all had distinct voices and motives. Sometimes Mia came off as a bit hyper sensitive/immature. Not all the time, and it didn't even have to do with her being transgender. I can't recall any specifics off the top of my head, it was just something I noticed.

The only other thing I didn't like was the betrayal of Christians (not all religious people show up on your doorstep condensing you) and the general reactions of some of the people. A bit over-dramatic? I honestly don't think anyone would care as much as they did in this book. It felt a little unrealistic. Not the mom, that felt honest, and Nolan felt honest, and even Chase and her BF. Mason's hatred seemed to fit his personality. I'm talking about the no name characters. I don't think people would come up to someone and ask about their genitalia. I know I wouldn't. Hell, when it comes to transgender people, I'm afraid of using the wrong pronoun and being offensive, especially if the aren't even transgender to begin with. Sometimes it's hard to tell. Anyway, most people are supporters as far as I'm concerned, or at least they are tolerant. BUT I'm not part of the LGBT community, except maybe the A part, so maybe I just don't see all that goes on. Early 90s? Hell, yeah, these reactions are completely realistic.

Alright enough of the negativity, I really did love this book and highly commend it to anyone looking for an out-of-the-box romance, transgender lit, or something with an early 2000's city vibe. After reading this, I recommend [b:Golden Boy|15802886|Golden Boy|Abigail Tarttelin|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1419213016s/15802886.jpg|21526297] [bc:Golden Boy|15802886|Golden Boy|Abigail Tarttelin|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1419213016s/15802886.jpg|21526297]. It's about an intersex boy who get's raped and has his sexuality put into question. It's not endorsed by the intersex community, but I think it does hold some value when analyzing the effects of rape. Now if you want a memoir of an intersex person, I recommend [bc:Intersex|4166120|Intersex (For Lack of a Better Word)|Thea Hillman|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1354903173s/4166120.jpg|4213417] [b:Intersex|4166120|Intersex (For Lack of a Better Word)|Thea Hillman|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1354903173s/4166120.jpg|4213417].
  ZetherBooks | Jun 15, 2016 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,938,302 books! | Top bar: Always visible