What the Moon Saw by Laura Resau

What the Moon Saw

by Laura Resau

One of the best books I have read. The book is just so...well-written. An amazing book! One of those find-your-place-in-the-world type of books. ( )
  lanthanides | Mar 12, 2014 |
My daughter, 15, loves a good book. When she read this one last year she said this one was the best stories she had ever read and that I "have to read this one!" I did, and found it to be a well-written (beautiful symbolism and metaphor), entertaining, adventurous, and tender coming of age story of a girl who's world opens up widely when she finds out what it means to discover her true self and to be true to herself. I loved it! ( )
  Bratch | Feb 1, 2010 |
I absolutely adored this book! It's the story of 14-year-old Clara Luna, who lives in suburban Maryland with her family. Her father, who crossed the border from Mexico illegally many years ago, never speaks of his parents or his youth in Mexico. One day, just as she is feeling restless and yearning for something, Clara receives a letter from her grandparents, inviting her to visit them in rural Mexico. When she arrives, at first she is shocked at the way they live, and doesn't think she will be able to survive without the conveniences and luxuries she is accustomed to back home. She begins to explore the wilderness around Yucuyoo, her grandparents' village. She makes friends with Pedro, a young goatherder, and learns about healing from her grandmother. Clara's story is alternated with chapters narrating her grandmother, Helena's, experiences growing up in the late 1930s and discovering her own healing abilities. Finally, with the help of her grandparents, Pedro, and the beautiful natural surroundings, Clara finally comes to feel like her "inside matches her outside." This one is definitely a keeper, one that I fully intend to pass onto my own children someday. Highly, highly recommended. ( )
1 vote allthesedarnbooks | Aug 31, 2009 |
I thought that this book was really engaging. I loved it. I loved how the author included the grandmother's past along with her granddaughter's present.
I think the author did a really good job with this because you feel for the character. You feel everything the character feels and that makes for a really great page turner book. I mean, when you read this book you feel her anxiety and you can relate to the situations she's in: feeling out of place, being in love for the first time, feeling awkward and unwanted. These are common feelings the the readers, like myself, can relate to and that makes for an AWESOME read.
I recommend this book for anyone and everyone. Well men might not like this book as much unless they can get in touch with their softer sides but still this is a great story. ( )
1 vote Twilight-fan_4life | Apr 23, 2009 |
  Lake_O_UCC | Mar 14, 2009 |
The moonlight touches them both tonight, despite the thousands of miles between them.

Clara Luna's name means "clear moon" in Spanish. But lately, her head
has felt anything but clear. One day a letter comes from Mexico, written in Spanish: Dear Clara, We invite you to our house for the summer. We will wait for you on the day of the full moon, in June, at the Oaxaca airport. Love, your grandparents.

Fourteen-year-old Clara has never met her father's parents. She knows he snuck over the border from Mexico as a teenager, but beyond that, she knows almost nothing about his childhood. When she agrees to go, she's stunned by her grandparents' life: they live in simple shacks in the mountains of southern Mexico, where most people speak not only Spanish, but an indigenous language, Mixteco.

The village of Yucuyoo holds other surprises, too-- like the spirit waterfall, which is heard but never seen. And Pedro, an intriguing young goatherder who wants to help Clara find the waterfall. Hearing her grandmother’s adventurous tales of growing up as a healer awakens Clara to the magic in Yucuyoo, and in her own soul. What The Moon Saw is an enchanting story of discovering your true self in the most unexpected place.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:21 -0400)

Fourteen-year-old Clara Luna spends the summer with her grandparents in the tiny, remote village of Yucuyoo, Mexico, learning about her grandmother's life as a healer, her father's decision to leave home for the United States, and her own place in the world.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,676,805 books! | Top bar: Always visible