Jem and the Holograms: Dark Jem by Kelly…

Jem and the Holograms: Dark Jem

by Kelly Thompson

Other authors: Sophie Campbell (Illustrator)

Series: Jem and the Holograms (TPB 11-16)

This volume contains the entire “dark!Jem” story arc. Synergy plays something for Jerrica, which takes over her mind and turns her evil, creating “dark!Jem." Jem proceeds to infect the rest of the holograms - they change their look and develop cool dispositions towards their friends. This happens right as their tour with the Misfits begins and, as the Holograms begin spreading this evil musical virus to everyone who hears their live show, the Misfits find themselves in the unusual position of having to be the heroes.

Also in this story, we are introduced to a brand new character, created for the comics. Blaze join the Misfits as a replacement lead vocalist (Pizzazz continues to suffer from the throat damage she sustained in volume 2.) I love Blaze - she’s sweet, hopeful yet nervous about her dream coming true. She’s also a transgender character, which is awesome.

So, I love Blaze and I love the character design on the dark!Holograms - there’s some really cool art in this volume. However, I felt the resolution to the “dark!Jem” storyline was pretty weak - and the ending felt rushed. New characters Shiver, Scream and Synth are briefly introduced for no reason and then discarded.

I did like seeing the Holograms and the Misfits team up, though I’m not sure how I feel about this “nice” Pizzazz - she was so much fun as a villain on the cartoon, and I feel like they miss an opportunity for conflict and drama by having everyone be so gosh-darn nice in this universe.

There’s also some nice artwork at the end of the volume - in particular, a very beautiful illustration of Kimber and Stormer by M. Victoria Robado that I would love to buy a print of! ( )
  catfantastic | Oct 22, 2016 |
I received an ARC from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

I love a good comic or graphic novel and especially strong female oriented ones. I love how modern Jem and the Holograms is in this series and the artwork is gorgeous! The story is intriguing and kept me interested. All around great volume! ( )
  CynthiaMR | Aug 31, 2016 |

Kelly Thompsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Campbell, SophieIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Campbell, SophieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,497,776 books! | Top bar: Always visible