Revenge of the Evil Librarian by Michelle…

Revenge of the Evil Librarian (2017)

by Michelle Knudsen

313357,052 (4)1

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Note: I was supposed to receive an Early Reviewers copy of this book, but it never came. I borrowed the book from our library.

Revenge of the Evil Librarian by Michelle Knudsen is the sequel to Evil Librarian. The story picks up several months later, as the school year is ending and Cyn sets her sights on a summer of theater camp with her boyfriend Ryan. The problem is that something is making Cyn nervous, and her fears intensify when she spots a flash of demon-halo red at the camp. Even worse, Cyn discovers that Ryan has a best friend at camp that he never mentioned, a girl named Jules.

Revenge of the Evil Librarian is a great sequel to the first book. Still full of musical theater factoids, high drama, and lots of demons, this book gives a couple of twists to the original that keep it from suffering "second book syndrome." Knudsen manages a nice balance between light-hearted comedy and page-turning suspense. I could see her spinning off one new character, Peter, into a whole new series. The story also has a very satisfying ending, finishing the plot while still leaving room for a third book. Well worth the read if you enjoyed Evil Librarian, and it gives enough backstory about the first book that I think it could be enjoyed as a stand alone. ( )
  jugglingpaynes | Aug 5, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
At first glance, Cyn appears to be an average teen bent on having the best summer of her life. She's a talented set designer, she's going to a camp for theater enthusiasts with her cute boyfriend Ryan, and she has an amazing group of friends. But Cyn isn't a typical teenager, and this isn't going to be an ordinary summer for her. As Cyn faces obstacles, both human and supernatural, she will learn the true meaning of love, friendship and inner strength.

This is a sequel, so I wish I read the first book (The Evil Librarian) before I read this to better appreciate it. However, the author gave sufficient background info making it easy to follow the story. I enjoyed Cyn's voice, she's a quirky and entertaining narrator. I also like that she's protective of her friends and a brave but somewhat reluctant heroine. There is a Cyn-Ryan-Peter and Cyn-Ryan-Jules love triangle going on. Honestly, I prefer Peter over Ryan as he didn't turn his back on Cyn when she most needed help, but clearly Cyn is head over heels with Ryan. Cyn fights demons using her so-called "super-roach" powers. Yes, it's weird, especially the final showdown between Cyn and her nemesis as I found the reaction of her friends bizarre. I mean it's good that she has understanding and supportive friends, but it's not everyday you see demons fighting on a field, their reaction is lacking and their resigned acceptance of the situation is strange. But strange as the story is, I still enjoyed it. If you like a lighter version of Charmed meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer, you'll enjoy this book.

I give Revenge of the Evil Librarian 3 over 5 stars. Thank you to LibraryThing and Candlewick Press for sending me a copy. ( )
1 vote VavaViolet | Mar 27, 2017 |
I know, it's really not nice to torment you all with a review of a book that isn't out until 2017, but I got an early e-galley from the publisher, and I just couldn't resist. In this sequel to Evil Librarian, Cyn and Ryan are at theatre camp, looking forward to a summer of acting and set design and a complete absence of demonic activity. Well, as you might expect, they get two out of three of those things. I'm not going to summarize more than that, for fear of spoilers -- but I will say that this book was just as much fun as its predecessor. Plenty of humor, plenty of action, plenty of drama, plus some great character development. Fans of the series, feel free to hate me for reading this one so early, but take comfort in knowing that my wait for the third book will be that much longer! Fortunately for all of us, the author has left an opening for a third book -- but not by means of a cliffhanger; this book's conclusion is satisfying. ( )
1 vote foggidawn | Apr 15, 2016 |
Italian class is not what it used to be.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Michelle Knudsen's book Revenge of the Evil Librarian is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Michelle Knudsen is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,499,330 books! | Top bar: Always visible