A Year in the Life of the Yorkshire…

A Year in the Life of the Yorkshire Shepherdess

by Amanda Owen

202731,541 (4.17)None

I have had a fondness for stories set in Yorkshire and have read all the James Herriot books. We are such big fans that we named our son Tristan after one of the characters. When I discovered another Yorkshire author named Amanda Owen I knew I was in for a treat.

First I followed Amanda, aka The Yorkshire Shepherdess, on Twitter. The photos of the Yorkshire countryside, the sheep, cows, horses, chickens and of course Amanda, her husband Clive and their 9 children are beautiful. Her handle is @Amandaowen8 if you want to take a look.

All children are up at 6:00 a.m. and eat on the go, all have chores they do, automatically working as a team. Even the 7 year old goes out to gather wood and brings it to start a fire in the black range. No fire means cold baths. Yikes!

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading these 12 chapters broken down by each month’s events. Here is a great article from The Guardian and one from Country and Townhouse if you want to read more. If you enjoyed James Herriot then this will be your cuppa of tea. Fresh bread, cakes and stews are always on the menu so I thought I would share two freshly baked loaves I made this week.

Photos on Novel Meals site.

https://novelmeals.wordpress.com/2018/04/26/a-year-in-the-life-of-the-yorkshire-shepherdess-by-amanda-owen/ ( )
  SquirrelHead | May 3, 2018 |
Enjoyable account of events on her sheep farm at the end of the road in the Yorkshire Hills. Plenty of stuff about animal ailments, and about how they make a living on the farm. It seems to be all about grass, they cannot grow any other plant, although perhaps some of the trees she plants will take root. The many kids, the tractors, the sales and the walkers all have their part to play in what must be a demanding life. ( )
  oataker | Mar 22, 2017 |

From bestselling author Amanda Owen come more tales of life at Ravenseat, the remote Yorkshire hill farm she shares with husband Clive, eight children and 900 sheep. In A Year in the Life of the Yorkshire Shepherdess she describes the age-old cycles of a farming year and the constant challenges the family faces, from being cut off in winter to tending their flock on some of Yorkshire's highest, bleakest moors - land so inaccessible that in places it can only be reached on foot. Writing with her trademark warmth and humour, Amanda takes us into her life as nine-year-old Miles gets his first flock, Reuben takes up the flugelhorn and she gives birth to a new baby girl. She is touched by the epic two-day journey of a mother sheep determined to find her lamb and gives a new home to an ageing and neglected horse. Meanwhile Clive is almost arrested on a midnight stakeout to catch a sheep-rustling dog and becomes the object of affection for a randy young bull. Funny, poignant and charming, A Year in the Life of the Yorkshire Shepherdess is a must for anyone interested in the countryside and those who farm it.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 16 Jun 2016 05:13:39 -0400)

From bestselling author Amanda Owen come more tales of life at Ravenseat, the remote Yorkshire hill farm she shares with husband Clive, eight children and 900 sheep. In her new book she describes the age-old cycles of a farming year and the constant challenges the family faces, from being cut off in winter to tending their flock on some of Yorkshire's highest, bleakest moors - land so inaccessible that in places it can only be reached on foot. Writing with her trademark warmth and humour, Amanda takes us into her life as nine-year-old Miles gets his first flock, Reuben takes up the flugelhorn and she gives birth to a new baby girl. She is touched by the epic two-day journey of a mother sheep determined to find her lamb and gives a new home to an ageing and neglected horse. Meanwhile Clive is almost arrested on a midnight stakeout to catch a sheep-rustling dog and becomes the object of affection for a randy young bull. Funny, poignant and charming, this is a must for anyone interested in the countryside and those who farm it.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,197,434 books! | Top bar: Always visible